Upgrade Questions/Advice on 06 Tahoe 5W4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harrison256

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post and subsequently also first day of tahoe ownership. Standard procedure

Anyways I just purchased a 2006 Tahoe 5W4 on the cheap out of DC (Hasn't arrived yet). Its an odd mix, it has a Z71 Chassis, the 5W4 Special Service package, and the Z81 trailer package.

Anyways, I'm planning on swapping a full size center console into it, leather skins for the seats, and carpets (has rubber floors right now)

I have ALOT of questions so bear with me guys,

Console-

03 06 Avalanche Suburban Yukon Tahoe Silverado Center Console Sierra Grey | eBay

*The air conditioning unit on it is NOT the digital one. So my first issue is that the consoles that I want all seem to have the a/c controls in them on the back. From what I've heard my analogue ac means it is near impossible to hook up and make operate properly. If that's the case then what would you guys suggest (any inserts or the like) that would remove it/cover it? Do they make that console without the A/C controls?

*Also, the Tahoe currently has the UQ3 enhanced audio package which is 6 pioneer speakers and a subwoofer. Would that subwoofer have been in the center console (which was removed by the secret service) or in the rear? Basically, do I have it.

*Whether or not I have that sub, would the bose subwoofer that inevitably comes in the center console I like be compatible? If not could it be made compatible with an aftermarket head-unit?

Audio -

*What luck have you guys had with easy install and stock look of adding tweeters to the A-Pillars? Cheap or expensive?

*Any suggestions on nav units? I was considering Pioneer X940BT because Its pretty good unit with infinite color matching of the controls as well as you can change the stock startup image to whatever you want (chevy symbol).

Engine -

*Its the L59 motor but are there any performance enhancements involved? I know the PPV tahoe has a quicker motor but not sure about the 5W4

*Whats are some of the better programmers/chips and air filters to look at?

Spotlight -

*It already has the left hand spotlight. Does anyone know If I can get the dealership to put in a second and if i need a new A pillar or just drill the stock one? Or where I should get that done. I'm a sucker for symmetry. I can handle a good DIY project but notching a door is something I would much rather leave to a professional.

Chassis -

*Does anyone have any details on the Z81 or 5W4 options they could share? All the information I could locate seems pretty vague

*It appears that the tahoe has a rake? Is this part of the package or what? How would I go about leveling it out the easiest without sacrificing any integrity (I did buy it specifically for towing). I don't believe it to be aftermarket as this was a one owner government car.

*If the car is raked and I do have some way to level it, would the trailer hitch depicted in the photo need to be moved up? It appears to be lowered? Or maybe I'm mistaken. Looks to be lower than my ex 07 silverado ltz hitch was

Body -

*Any references for good nerf style step bars?

*Does the chrome cladding on the exterior of the doors come off via adhesive or is it friction clipped on?

*Would it be reasonable cheap to put some z71 style or any style upgraded fender flares on it that might look good? Suggestions?

*Has anyone on here paint matched their chrome bumpers and grill and how much did you pay? Do yall think it would be an improvement?

Wheels -

*I have no idea which direction I want to go with wheels but just not chrome. Maybe some American racing?

Keep in mind with suggestions that I'm really not trying to go for a big lifted look or anything over the top (like massive knobby and ranch hand bumpers all around) Really I want it to be subtle but still cool looking.

Sorry I know this is a lot to drop on a first post and I don't expect it all to get answered, just the exhaustive list of all the questions that have been floating around in my head

Thanks in advance for the replies and looking forward to becoming immersed in yet another forum.

7f5um3n.jpg
NHt1q5i.jpg
SP6uGwa.jpg
24em61S.jpg
n7QAwxl.jpg
YzZEDzj.jpg
E2YgKbI.jpg
hJCexsh.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Console-

03 06 Avalanche Suburban Yukon Tahoe Silverado Center Console Sierra Grey | eBay

*The air conditioning unit on it is NOT the digital one. So my first issue is that the consoles that I want all seem to have the a/c controls in them on the back. From what I've heard my analogue ac means it is near impossible to hook up and make operate properly. If that's the case then what would you guys suggest (any inserts or the like) that would remove it/cover it? Do they make that console without the A/C controls?

Leave the rear a/c controls out, get the pocket from a 4 door silverado for it. you can not make those controls work with what you have and it would be cheaper to purchase another tahoe than to make digital controls work

*Also, the Tahoe currently has the UQ3 enhanced audio package which is 6 pioneer speakers and a subwoofer. Would that subwoofer have been in the center console (which was removed by the secret service) or in the rear? Basically, do I have it.

In 06 it would have been in your center console

*Whether or not I have that sub, would the bose subwoofer that inevitably comes in the center console I like be compatible? If not could it be made compatible with an aftermarket head-unit?

sure, but to make that all work you need the bose head unit and bose amplifier. I would just go aftermarket and save the cash and get good sound instead of bose

Audio -

*What luck have you guys had with easy install and stock look of adding tweeters to the A-Pillars? Cheap or expensive?

nothing aftermarket will really look OEM in your pillars. most people add teeters where your mid is in the door, behind the screen and it looks OEM

*Any suggestions on nav units? I was considering Pioneer X940BT because Its pretty good unit with infinite color matching of the controls as well as you can change the stock startup image to whatever you want (chevy symbol).

I've had ONLY Pioneer for the 17 years or so I've been driving.

*Whats are some of the better programmers/chips and air filters to look at?

We have a few vendors here to help with programming. go to the main forum page and you'll find them. You can also see in each section what air filters they recommend.

Spotlight -

*It already has the left hand spotlight. Does anyone know If I can get the dealership to put in a second and if i need a new A pillar or just drill the stock one? Or where I should get that done. I'm a sucker for symmetry. I can handle a good DIY project but notching a door is something I would much rather leave to a professional.

Not sure if the dealer would do the other side. I would call first, but I'd also check off road companies that possibly sell them

*It appears that the tahoe has a rake? Is this part of the package or what? How would I go about leveling it out the easiest without sacrificing any integrity (I did buy it specifically for towing). I don't believe it to be aftermarket as this was a one owner government car.

You have a bad rake. It depends if you want the rear to go down to match the front, or the front to go up to match the rear.

*If the car is raked and I do have some way to level it, would the trailer hitch depicted in the photo need to be moved up? It appears to be lowered? Or maybe I'm mistaken. Looks to be lower than my ex 07 silverado ltz hitch was

depends on the answer above

*Does the chrome cladding on the exterior of the doors come off via adhesive or is it friction clipped on?

adhesive

*Would it be reasonable cheap to put some z71 style or any style upgraded fender flares on it that might look good? Suggestions?

cheap does not always equal good. It really depends on he look you're going for. A lot of your upgrades (door light, nerf bars, fender flares) can be purchased and installed by 1 local company. If you buy all from them and have them install, you might get a good deal

*Has anyone on here paint matched their chrome bumpers and grill and how much did you pay? Do yall think it would be an improvement?

yes it's been done, if done right (not cheap) it will not chip off. You can temporarily plasti-dip it to see if you like it. Most paint shops will not paint chrome because of the adhesion problems. You can also wrap it in vinyl

**** And this my friends is the proper way to answer MULTIPLE questions in the same post while making it look like you know what your doing...

:Handshake:

OP
OP
H

Harrison256

Reaction score
Wow, that is the most organized and concise response ever. That answered nearly every question I had and I only posted 20 mins ago lol

Could you elaborate on what a "bad rake" is? bad as in screwed up or bad as in massive. And its definitely not from the factory?

Do you know a super rough ball park estimate on getting a rake like that fixed?

Also definitely going to take you up on your tweeter advice. Wonder it I can gut the new console and fit a little 6 inch sub in it

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is the most organized and concise response ever. That answered nearly every question I had and I only posted 20 mins ago lol

:Handshake:

Could you elaborate on what a "bad rake" is? bad as in screwed up or bad as in massive. And its definitely not from the factory?

Rake is your rear being WAY up, and the front looking about stock. It's never THAT bad from the factory. I bet they towed something major with it, and loaded it down to almost factory height. That could be why you have double hitches as well.

Do you know a super rough ball park estimate on getting a rake like that fixed?

If you want to go down to level it with the front, you could get some springs for $200 or so, maybe $150 used. you might have to swap out both rear shock that would be another $150 or so

I also moved this thread to the 00-06 section

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats def not a stock rake, i've got a set of z71 coils laying around, idk what they did to make that sit so high, but i've gotta assume they swapped the coils and probably put a longer shock on

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats def not a stock rake, i've got a set of z71 coils laying around, idk what they did to make that sit so high, but i've gotta assume they swapped the coils and probably put a longer shock on

x2

at least stock springs will get you close. that's not just shocks. You'll need both shocks and springs

OP
OP
H

Harrison256

Reaction score
I also just found out that the front shocks are RED and the rear are BLACK if that adds to the mystery any. No detailed info yet tho

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

anyone with a build sheet know if the springs that came from the factory are the same as a z71?

nctFdX2.jpg

0AygQhQ.jpg

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its got the z71 package, stock it should have come with the slightly beefier coils

and i'm not using these coils i got, not sure what they're worth but if you wanna buy em and pay shipping i'm sure we can work something out

OP
OP
H

Harrison256

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds good rather give a forum member the money than the chevy dealer here. This weekend I'll check everything out and see what it actually has going on back there. Are the coils in pretty good condition? PM me a price whenever you get a chance

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Tahoe, welcome!

I have the part number off my 04 z71 coils if you want to compare, I will try to get it tomorrow.

Ours is raked, but not that bad. I would also like to level ours and lower it a bit when I have more funds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans