Upgrade OEM Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below 0 temps? Yeah id spend the little bit more for the thermal bypass.
Yeah, Its Kansas lol. We went from almost 98 and 90% humidity to a cold front come through and came down to like 80 with almost no humidity. We have crazy ass weather here.
So I error on the side of caution with winter. It will be in the garage, but I know the wife will only drive it to take the kids to school and pick them up....which is about a mile to 2 miles each way.

Addicted

Reaction score
Any tips or pictures of a bypass installation? I am looking at the TruCool LPD4739 with a bypass.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to swap out some hard tubes for hose, which doesn't excite me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...

Tru-cool.jpg

I still feel like that might not be enough @ 0*, but for most people it doesn't appear to be necessary.

Addicted

Reaction score
Tru-Cool LPD4739 with bypass is installed!

IMG_1061_zpsbs5xfid0.jpg

I decided to use the included hose for hookup. I would have done something nicer (AN/Braided or hard lines) but the bypass has hose barbs, so I just stuck with hose barbs and clamps for all of it. I double clamped (and triple clamped one spot) even though the Tru-Cool instruction say not to. Not sure why two hose clamps is worse than one hose clamp. I made sure they were all inside the barbs, which was a tight fit. Because I used hose, I ended up drilling holes down through the plastic and foam behind the bumper. It ended up pretty nice even though I hate the look of all the hose clamps. The bypass fit nicely running front to back under the radiator.

IMG_1039_zpsuunnxk3e.jpg

IMG_1036_zpsecsig7ub.jpg

IMG_1043_zpsxeypru0j.jpg

IMG_1041_zpsf0h1km7u.jpg

IMG_1056_zpsi3rrghg4.jpg

IMG_1054_zpsysvz2i64.jpg

IMG_1050_zpsjmzdyf9h.jpg

IMG_1045_zpsdwrejzcs.jpg

The hose clamps are all accessible for snugging up over time if necessary, and I even have the ones on the bottom of the cooler pointed so that I can sneak a 1/4" socket with lots of extensions through my grill to snug them without taking the grill out.

I drove it to work this morning, 20 miles at 50 degree air temp, and the transmission got up to 145, where it would only get to 130 or so before. I will be towing my camper on lots of hills this weekend, and I'm hoping I can't make it hit 200.

I blacked out the fittings and hose clamps, as well as the mounting brackets. I think it looks pretty darned sweet. Thanks to others who have done this and given me ideas.

IMG_1059_zpsyphbiibz.jpg

Last edited:

MSGKUNERT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced my factory cooler (07 Yukon Denali XL, 205K) with the Tru-Cool Max 4739 after a trip home to Ohio for vacation and some very high towing temps. I also used the install brackets from Time2Kill which were great. His write-up leaves out a lot for the Denali version which has an extra sensor and needs a few more cuts to make it work.
Temps were around 170-185 on the way to Ohio from Georgia, and didn't go over 135 on the way home pulling a full 6x10' trailer loaded down with a golf cart (2K) and family gear.
I've got pictures on my phone if anybody needs a visual reference.

This is a must do Mod that should have been done long ago.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a tranny cooler that big, I'd say your A/C doesn't work as well, and your coolant temps run hotter.