Upgrade OEM Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
It is a bit but enough that I don't mind it. Actually kinda like that it shows a bit and I perfectly centered it so looks kinda bad ass. Most people think it's an intercooler.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a bit but enough that I don't mind it. Actually kinda like that it shows a bit and I perfectly centered it so looks kinda bad ass. Most people think it's an intercooler.

Ah thats cool. Showin it off.

Mine is not perfectly centered (I used a cheaper trans cooler) so it doesn't look as nice as yours, but its black so you wouldn't know it was there anyways.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I have on my jeep and it blends right in.

what you have to do is technically "spread" the factory lines appart because new cooler is wider. U dremel off the plastic piece where they stick thru so they can be spread appart and fit them into the new cooler.

P71toZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That kit is only for the nbs right?
NBS and NNBS.

If you look closely at the OP's pictures, you can see that the factory horizontal brace is not bolted on. I believe GM changed to welds during the 2009 model year. The Tru-Cool install kit should still work, but you'll have to grind, drill, and maybe tap the holes for the new brace to bolt on.

Does the towing package option offer a bigger cooler??? Why not just get a towing package cooler, and GM parts ?

If you don't want to mess with hard lines, not having the factory transmission cooler makes an install easier, in my opinion. Just get the Derale 13035 adapter and use quality hoses and hose clamps.

To add to the temperatures everyone else posted, my temp without a cooler was always 100 degrees higher than the ambient air temp (whether moving or stopped). I've had this vehicle in ambient temps from the low teens to just under 120 degrees, and that always held true. I have driven in mostly low humidity areas.

After adding a Derale 13403 cooler (different model than OP), my temps would be 70-75 degrees over ambient while moving or with the radiator fans on. While stopped with no radiator fans on, the temps would rise to 80-85 degrees above ambient.

Top is before; bottom is after:
QQ7ftTV.jpg

Unfortunately, Derale rates my cooler in GVW and rates the OP's cooler in BTUs, so it isn't easy to make a direct comparison. Stacked plate is supposed to be better than plate and fin, but the different dimensions come into play as well.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Holly outside temps!!! Lol. We never get those here in MI. At about 90 outside my Trans chillin at a max of 145* towing in middle of traffic. Never gets hotter here so can't tell u how hot it gets. Never seen Trans temp over 155.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look closely at the OP's pictures, you can see that the factory horizontal brace is not bolted on. I believe GM changed to welds during the 2009 model year. The Tru-Cool install kit should still work, but you'll have to grind, drill, and maybe tap the holes for the new brace to bolt on.

If you don't want to mess with hard lines, not having the factory transmission cooler makes an install easier, in my opinion. Just get the Derale 13035 adapter and use quality hoses and hose clamps.

To add to the temperatures everyone else posted, my temp without a cooler was always 100 degrees higher than the ambient air temp (whether moving or stopped). I've had this vehicle in ambient temps from the low teens to just under 120 degrees, and that always held true. I have driven in mostly low humidity areas.

After adding a Derale 13403 cooler (different model than OP), my temps would be 70-75 degrees over ambient while moving or with the radiator fans on. While stopped with no radiator fans on, the temps would rise to 80-85 degrees above ambient.

Top is before; bottom is after:

Unfortunately, Derale rates my cooler in GVW and rates the OP's cooler in BTUs, so it isn't easy to make a direct comparison. Stacked plate is supposed to be better than plate and fin, but the different dimensions come into play as well.

Good lookin cooler. It appears to have made a huge reduction in temps!

I've got a smaller hayden 679 (11x12x3/4" thick stacked plate) in mine, in line with the radiator. Hottest that I have ever seen mine was 165* in 100+ degree weather. It used to get up around 200.

I'm thinking about bypassing my radiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu