Upgrade '16 Denali to HDMI input from '17 models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conjalka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm also interested to hear if you ever had any luck getting the HDMI port to work properly. Thanks for doing the R&D for us all!

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cmatt have you had any luck with figuring it out. I have a 15 Denali and have upgraded my HMI and DVD to the newer models. I am wanting to start the cabling for the module and don’t want to tear anything apart if it’s not going to work. Please let me know

So you picked up a 2017+ DVD player, had it programmed and installed it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested to hear if you ever had any luck getting the HDMI port to work properly. Thanks for doing the R&D for us all!

I’m close. Just waiting on the programmed DVD player to make it back to me.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cmatt..
Have you had any revelations? I'm thinking it's a combination of a newer DVD player (84409491) and a newer HMI module (84331776 or 84546904) to make it work.

I have a slightly different problem. I have a 2018 with RSE (hdmi input). The input is not displaying any res higher than 480p. Signal from a Roku appears zoomed in to just the bottom left portion of what the Roku would normally put out. Yet, other 2018 Tahoes on the dealer lot display 720p just fine. I'm thinking the problem is either my version of the DVD player installed during the build (not support more than 480p from the hdmi input coming to it) or the HMI module. I have 84364936 which is an earlier build than the ones listed above. GM infotainment support is aware of the issue. GM tech support is telling the dealer techs that replacing the HMI won't fix the issue. Of course my response to them is "then what will make it output 720p... if you're so confident it's not in the HMI then where is the problem?". I haven't received that answer yet but will pass along if I find out.

I am of the same opinion on the modules. They do have to be programmed to your vehicle.

Seanjordan20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to ask a company I deal with if it’s possible to program the module to the trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any updates on getting this HDMI unit to work on a '15 or '16 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon?

I'm looking at a couple '16 Suburbans and can't stand the fact that they have this archaic composite connection for the rear entertainment.

Also, in addition to the HDMI input, the '17 & up models also allow casting from your phone directly to the rear screens via WiFi. Pretty cool if we could figure out how to get that working as well!

Thanks!

Kevro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No news lately, it doesn't seem like this conondrum was solved.

Hey cmatt,

Any updates on this HDMI conversion in the 2015-2016 Yukon/Tahoe/suburban? Is it a lost cause? Last you posted you said that you sent an HDMI unit off to be reprogrammed. I'm really curious how that went!

Thanks!
Kevin

Hani orfali

Reaction score
Hey cmatt,

Any updates on this HDMI conversion in the 2015-2016 Yukon/Tahoe/suburban? Is it a lost cause? Last you posted you said that you sent an HDMI unit off to be reprogrammed. I'm really curious how that went!

Thanks!
Kevin
You don't need to program the DVD player just buy new version of dvd player 2017 and up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu