Upgrade '16 Denali to HDMI input from '17 models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthJersey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might already have a 2.5 HMI, like I did in my 2016, so I'd confirm first. Either way, you'll have to have the HMI and DVD / BluRay player programmed.

Outside of that, I replaced my center console with a console from a 2017+ escalade that already had the short run of blue usb cabling attached that meets the new blue usb cable I ran at the front (that goes to the DVD, Screen, and HMI), and runs to the hdmi breakout receptacle at the back. All that to say, I'm unsure of what the part number is for the blue cable that's required to run from the dvd / bluray to the receptacle at the back.

Hopefully that's helpful. :)

Best,

- Darren

So, I need to buy a different blu-ray player, but do I also need to buy a new touchscreen assembly?

Darren S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali and it had the screens and DVD player from factory. For me, with all that being there already, I did not have to do anything with the touchscreen. I think you only have to tinker with the touchscreen if your vehicle doesn't have the screens and DVD player already.

NorthJersey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hope you're right. I'll be holding my breath when I plug in that harness. I will post an update with the results.

Justin101714

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali and it had the screens and DVD player from factory. For me, with all that being there already, I did not have to do anything with the touchscreen. I think you only have to tinker with the touchscreen if your vehicle doesn't have the screens and DVD player already.
Okay, I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. I’ve got the dvd and rear seat entertainment. From what I gather from the thread so far. I need a new DVD player and the controls on the back of the console. Of course it needs to be programmed. I already have a programmed 2.5 HMI in the vehicle now. That’s it? Will the module on the back of the console PnP?

lovelylin80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice work.

On the USB cable for the dash you listed (84275164), looking at the pictures online it appears to be a little different than what would be in an SUV that came with the HDMI from the factory. It may still work if the lengths are long enough.
View attachment 333300

This is the dash usb cable from a 2018 Denali that had the rear entertainment center. 2016 and earlier SUVs won’t have the bypass module.
View attachment 333301

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you get these cables...so my infortainment screen went black brought it to gm they said I needed a new screen ok got another it came on and would black out. They jumped the video port and the screen would work they said the cable is the issue and they don't even know where to get it from...ugh gm really. I'm assuming to get the screen on the cable runs from the console screen to the hmi module. In the back of my screen there are only 2 connection and the one I need is to make the video work. Please any help would be appreciated

lovelylin80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok folks . .

The infamously difficult to find a part number for the 2017+ blue USB cable from the HMI to the DVD player / screen / center console is PN# 84275164.

The 2017+ center console wire harness that goes back to the rear seat entertainment receptacle is PN# 84202933. Just a quick note that this required taking the entire center console out and taking it completely apart, which was easily the most intensive work so far. The plus side of this though is that everything is plug and play!

The 2017+ rear seat entertainment receptacle with HDMI is PN# 84144678.

My 2016 Yukon Denali already had the the IO6 version 2.5 HMI and video enabled screen, so I bought a new 2017+ DVD/Blu-Ray player (PN# 84409491) and sent my HMI and the new disc player to White Automotive and Media Services to be programmed.

More to come!

View attachment 245864
The infamously difficult to find a part number for the 2017+ blue USB cable from the HMI to the DVD player / screen / center console is PN# 84275164. I have a question about this. Is this the cable that connects to the back of the screen and provides video on the display. Sorry not familiar with this stuff gm doesn't have a part number I need to get my touch screen on again