Updated navigation disks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had and actually still have, the aftermarket nav from my truck sitting int he basement and I used one of the PAC boxes to get the radio to work with the bose in that truck. My only concern with the google car play stuff is I adventure out into a lot of areas where i dont get cell signal, and that would suck a little more if my map went blank suddenly. guess thats why i keep a bunch of paper copies of the areas i travel too anyway
ya that's why I made sure I got a headunit with navigation, they tend to cost a little more but worth it for me.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that's why I made sure I got a headunit with navigation, they tend to cost a little more but worth it for me.

but you still run the risk of lacking map updates. i have never been able to see if there was map updates for my nav, if there was, i would swap it into my truck in a hurry

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but you still run the risk of lacking map updates. i have never been able to see if there was map updates for my nav, if there was, i would swap it into my truck in a hurry
the kenwoods use garmin so unlikely they would ever have any problem, the pioneer uses a different company they offer updates and have for years I just updated mine about a month ago to the 2020.10 or something to that effect. the company pioneer uses is in Sweden or Norway or one of those north European countries they offer maps for anywhere. you get it thru navi extras and download it online to a usb stick and instant happiness.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the kenwoods use garmin so unlikely they would ever have any problem, the pioneer uses a different company they offer updates and have for years I just updated mine about a month ago to the 2020.10 or something to that effect. the company pioneer uses is in Sweden or Norway or one of those north European countries they offer maps for anywhere. you get it thru navi extras and download it online to a usb stick and instant happiness.

might be worth looking into then. plus i could always use this as an excuse to add a better sub into the center console... kind of like how for the 100k maintenance you need to change the drive belts, might as well add a supercharger since the belt will be off the truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might be worth looking into then. plus i could always use this as an excuse to add a better sub into the center console... kind of like how for the 100k maintenance you need to change the drive belts, might as well add a supercharger since the belt will be off the truck.
lol, ok you know the policy pics or it didn't happen

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2! I want this belt change service..!

haha me too but i dont know if the wifey will go for it. i still got a little time til 100k so I can start looking..would really like an LSA blower since its oem equipment. I could tell her the intake manifold is damaged ...hmmm hahaha

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Update disk........LOL, Google maps or Wazes on your phone:chewie:

Just got back from a road trip and your idea dosent work when your in the middle of nowhere, Seriously lots of no cell coverage in WY, UT, SD, ID, NB. I now see the reliability of factory nav "discs" if they can be updated.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a road trip and your idea dosent work when your in the middle of nowhere, Seriously lots of no cell coverage in WY, UT, SD, ID, NB. I now see the reliability of factory nav "discs" if they can be updated.

its kind of a double edged sword, the factory nav wont die ( even though you might loose gps, will still have a map up ) but cant be as updated or might not have the features. or you go feature rich but run the risk of losing certain features. This past trip i printed directions, because im old at heart, and used with the factory nav...worked alright

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
its kind of a double edged sword, the factory nav wont die ( even though you might loose gps, will still have a map up ) but cant be as updated or might not have the features. or you go feature rich but run the risk of losing certain features. This past trip i printed directions, because im old at heart, and used with the factory nav...worked alright

back in the day this is how I found my way to dirt roads and obscure lakes here.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme®-Wis...eywords=gazetteer+maps&qid=1600519255&sr=8-31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14