UPDATE on 8" Shallow Mount Subwoofer drivers to fit in 01-02 OEM box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
What do you guys think about putting the sundown sd-3 10" in the thunderform box, if I can get a hold of one? According to researching, it's almost a perfect fit. Not cheap though. Of course not with the factory amp. Or what do you guys think for the biggest baboom to fit in there?

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about putting the sundown sd-3 10" in the thunderform box, if I can get a hold of one? According to researching, it's almost a perfect fit. Not cheap though. Of course not with the factory amp. Or what do you guys think for the biggest baboom to fit in there?
Is it a shallow mount? It needs to be in order to fit. Also figure in the recommended sealed enclosure volume. I fount a JL that fit the bill. It hits pretty hard with an amp.

kenabi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the mb quart discus 8 (DS1-204) is a drop in, so long as you leave the trim ring off. 8.25 (8.43 with ring) outer diameter, 7.24 cutout. which is well within tolerances for the oem 8 box. rated at 200w rms, 400 max. 2.8" mounting depth.

Redsl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the kicker conp rt8 and it is pretty damn good. I don't listen to much music with lots of bass. But I was tired of having none in there. I am waiting till next month to order a separate amp to run the sub. The kicker fit perfectly in the stock box. Seems as tho it does need a little more room to get a good boom but, all in all it works out quite well.

I bought the 2ohms per coil kicker. At the time I didn't know there was a 1ohm per coil sub... But, thanks to "Sub" (the Subwoofer master on this post) I learned a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't know before. So my kicker is only running off 1 coil technically. But for a Yukon xl you know the sub is 8' away and still hits pretty good.
hi man, did it fit with no modifications on the enclosure box what so ever? no removing of ring cover of the sub? no holes drilling for screws? what is the full name of the kicker sub? is it Kicker 48CWRT84 on Crutchfield Website?

this one:

thanks alot man!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
hi man, did it fit with no modifications on the enclosure box what so ever? no removing of ring cover of the sub? no holes drilling for screws? what is the full name of the kicker sub? is it Kicker 48CWRT84 on Crutchfield Website?

this one:

thanks alot man!

That poster hasn't been on here since late 2019. Don't expect a response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon