Under hood temps in Phoenix AZ. Cowl hood or vents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Excuse my while I be skeptic for a sec

What are you solving for? These rigs were designed and built in Texas(ever wonder why these seem to drive best at ~80mph?). Not like they didn't consider heat.

My 2 cents: Convert to efans, while you're in there, flush your cooling system with distilled water, throw dexcool in the garbage, and put honda coolant in it. (PEAK # PAB0B3). Mind your dilution as you'll be adding concentrate to a system filled with distilled water. I usually target 60/40.

Lower temp thermostat is a waste of time IMO. All it does is make it open sooner. Do you want your engine to run at 170? or 200? Open is open. You'll get no more cooling out of a low temp tstat.

FWIW on my '05
- It has efans
- I run the honda coolant mix I suggested
- hottest I've had it was 118 degree weather. Coolant temp was 206. Honestly it was the trans that was struggling the most with temperature. Was in the high 140s with a trucool 40k.
- I used some diodes and wired in a manual override switch for my fans so I can tick them on if I arbitrarily decide I want them to run faster than the PCM wants

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Excuse my while I be skeptic for a sec

What are you solving for? These rigs were designed and built in Texas(ever wonder why these seem to drive best at ~80mph?). Not like they didn't consider heat.

My 2 cents: Convert to efans, while you're in there, flush your cooling system with distilled water, throw dexcool in the garbage, and put honda coolant in it. (PEAK # PAB0B3). Mind your dilution as you'll be adding concentrate to a system filled with distilled water. I usually target 60/40.

Lower temp thermostat is a waste of time IMO. All it does is make it open sooner. Do you want your engine to run at 170? or 200? Open is open. You'll get no more cooling out of a low temp tstat.

FWIW on my '05
- It has efans
- I run the honda coolant mix I suggested
- hottest I've had it was 118 degree weather. Coolant temp was 206. Honestly it was the trans that was struggling the most with temperature. Was in the high 140s with a trucool 40k.
- I used some diodes and wired in a manual override switch for my fans so I can tick them on if I arbitrarily decide I want them to run faster than the PCM wants
What is so different about the honda coolant?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
What is so different about the honda coolant?
PHOAT based over OAT that came with our vehicles

Just a newer formulation

Easier on plastic, less apt to gunk up deathcool style.

I opted for this over other formulations as it's silicate free. So gentler on water pump seals.

And it's a different enough color from OEM that I wouldn't accidentally add dexcool or something to it. Toyota uses a similar formulation, but theirs is pink/red, and I could easily see myself or someone else not paying close attention and mixing chemistries without a second thought

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chin spoiler/air dam. Give those big fans a lower pressure to aim at!

OP
OP
SCBS

SCBS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's super hot in Phoenix, just want to reduce the under hood temps. I'll be installing an aluminum radiator with electric fans, was just curious if venting the hood would help

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can fabricate vents through the inner wheel/fender well.... with splash shields on the wheel side? ( It may "un-pack" the air better, than cutting up your bodywork )?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues