Under hood storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've had one of those Gator type plastic storage boxes mounted on the front of my 18' trailer for 15 years. It wasn't waterproof. I added that stick on grey foam to the channel on the underside of the lid that the top edge of the sides go into and have a couple holes drilled in the bottom. I keep a winch (and it's accessories), gloves, tie downs, wheel chocks, tire iron, moving quilt, etc. in there, and it's not under a hood but out on the A frame part of the trailer just behind the coupler.

I think unless you purposely spray down the cheaper box from the sides with a hose or high pressure wand it'd keep out most of the water.

Those expensive sealed battery boxes are for when the battery is placed inside the passenger compartment, like in a race car, and needs to keep gasses or acid in (well, they usually have a vent which is vented to outside the vehicle) and they need to pass tech inspection at a track.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found alternate location for my catch cans (dual system) to keep the 2nd battery tray empty. Used 1 1/2" aluminum angle, there are 2 holes predrilled under the front radiator plastic cover. On the firewall side I removed 2 plastic retainer clips for the top plastic trim there is metal under those so I used that as an anchor point for the little can. So if you want a second battery or storage this is an option.

Front Can.jpg rear can.jpg

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! When I get back home I am going to look at the local surplus store for an ammo box with a seal that will fit there. I figure on storing my jumper cables and some other items in there. Will post when I have it done.

Reaction score
I found alternate location for my catch cans (dual system) to keep the 2nd battery tray empty. Used 1 1/2" aluminum angle, there are 2 holes predrilled under the front radiator plastic cover. On the firewall side I removed 2 plastic retainer clips for the top plastic trim there is metal under those so I used that as an anchor point for the little can. So if you want a second battery or storage this is an option.

View attachment 251450 View attachment 251451
I'll have to see if my 2012 can have the can mounted in that area.

I didn't drill any holes where I have it, a hole was already there and a bigger hole is next to it that allows me to reach in and attach/hold a nut on the back side.

Also, with the tray underneath, it allows me to place a small butter tub under the drain valve and let it drain while doing other stuff instead of standing there having to hold it.
c4a958702c4a455ebee34c947808bb5f.jpgc72854ad37477313059901f8848d5dda.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DRKN57

Reaction score
Wasn’t there a Seinfeld where Kramer kept pizzas warm under the hood? If I remember correctly it didn’t end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14