Ultimate RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) Setup!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to order a 2022, I can’t believe there is no DVD player anymore. Two questions….

If you have a usb flash drive plugged in, can you select the movie and start it for a 5 and 2 year old in the back from the driver seat?

Can you not get a read and write player from Amazon and just plug it in as a stand alone DVD player?

1. Yes, you can select and start flash drive content from the front.

2. I suppose you could, since stand alone dvd players and game consoles can be used that way.

BTW, another option is to cast your phone to the RSE screens. I like that option, because I have an unlimited data plan for our phones and my grandkids have lots of shows on Netflix and Prime they like to watch. This also means I can find no good reason to get GM's data plan, which saves a few bucks each month. And there are no wires hanging around the console like there would be using a FireStick. The cell phone does everything I want.

All in all, though I was disappointed in there being no DVD player, now that we've had this setup for a while, it doesn't bother me. In fact, being able to have lots of movies on a flash drive is way more convenient than carrying lots of DVD's. Not to mention, handling DVD's that much tends to get them scratched up. That's happened to at least three discs we've used in my wife's Pacifica.

Fourtyfive

Reaction score
1. Yes, you can select and start flash drive content from the front.

2. I suppose you could, since stand alone dvd players and game consoles can be used that way.

BTW, another option is to cast your phone to the RSE screens. I like that option, because I have an unlimited data plan for our phones and my grandkids have lots of shows on Netflix and Prime they like to watch. This also means I can find no good reason to get GM's data plan, which saves a few bucks each month. And there are no wires hanging around the console like there would be using a FireStick. The cell phone does everything I want.

All in all, though I was disappointed in there being no DVD player, now that we've had this setup for a while, it doesn't bother me. In fact, being able to have lots of movies on a flash drive is way more convenient than carrying lots of DVD's. Not to mention, handling DVD's that much tends to get them scratched up. That's happened to at least three discs we've used in my wife's Pacifica.
I use an Iphone, will it connect with it?
How much space does a typical movie take up on a drive?
What software do you use to rip?

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not used an Apple product in a decade, so someone else will have to answer that one. Most movies at 720p will be about a gig, give or take. I'm no IT tech, but Handbrake is probably the most common software. (Try a search for Handbrake+anydvd.) I usually get hung up with these things, but fortunately I have a family member to call to get me through when i get stuck. DVD's weren't too bad, but some of our newer blu-rays I need help with. I also had trouble with the flash drive format. I had to reformat to FAT16 to get the system to recognize it.

OP
OP
AirRocker

AirRocker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any issues with the headphones?? I just posted, got my Yukon last week and the headphones aren’t working right. Also I’m so jealous of your data plans in the US. They offered me the $25 unlimited plan, then said “oh, you’re from Canada…… we can offer you 11GB for $70/month. Well we tore through 3GB in just a few days, so no way we’re getting a data plan that isn’t unlimited lol.
Yes we definitely have issues with the headphones. As someone else noted, they have to be directly in front of the screen to function properly (they are now IR instead of RF). Being IR, even bright sunlight can interfere with them. The batteries seem to die pretty quickly as well (I'm not sure if they're not auto-powering off or what). And we also have a strange issue where if I forget to disable the auto start/stop and the Roku gets powered off, there occasionally will be a horrid ~5 second full-volume static blast on the headphones after it powers back up. I have considered getting some cheap bluetooth headphones to replace them but haven't bothered yet.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Te: headphones. We bought Roku models that have the headphone Jack in the remotes for just this reason. Can use any headphones. We even have a splitter that we use that allows two headphones to plug in so when the kids have friends with them, everyone can listen In/watch. Don’t have to rely on the wireless ones or worry if the batteries die.

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 2022 we just got I cannot cast from iphone, and we cant use scandisk for movies. Roku stick works great.

jorgetoro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I prefer a fully hidden set up. No wires showing for a 90k vehicle should be the standard from the factory. In the future I am going to go for a no cable showing set up. I plan on using just a Amazon tablet with streaming apps installed, hot spot from my phone and that is it. Only shown wires will be when charging. But I will try to hide that too.

therealbofa

Reaction score
I prefer a fully hidden set up. No wires showing for a 90k vehicle should be the standard from the factory. In the future I am going to go for a no cable showing set up. I plan on using just a Amazon tablet with streaming apps installed, hot spot from my phone and that is it. Only shown wires will be when charging. But I will try to hide that too.
If you are planning to use miracast, I dont think the fire tablets offer it.

itsmike2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only option on 22's is HDMI input, no wireless streaming, no SSD on the usb, no APPS.. we have touchscreen and the only use it to select HDMI1 or HDMI2.. Really disappointing you have to use a media streamer that relies on internet. They should have left the Blu-ray at least..

chackakori

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The screens on our 2022 Yukon had an interesting message when we first turned them on.
"Rear Media is Unable to Connect to Streaming Video Services Right Now
HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 can still be used.
If this problem persists, ask the driver to contact a vehicle dealer."

I'm wondering if GM is planning on adding streaming apps to the system and this error came up because the vehicles data wasn't connected yet. That would definitely be a nice option but I'm still not happy that they removed the options to connect a USB drive or share phone screens. I'm sure they are wanting to push customers to pay for data plans but as a Canadian it would be nice if they offered decent plans then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep