Two seat Tahoe overlander build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
If you're curious what removing the seats saved you, it's probably 250+ lbs. I just weighed the seats we removed from our suburban and the 2nd row captains are 68 lbs each while the rear 2 part bench is 62 lbs per side.

I think mine is more. I have the 1/3 - 2/3 bench second row, I never weighed the 2/3 seat but, it weighs a lot. Your third row seat weights sound about right.

The 4x6 bed platform I installed might weigh around 80 pounds stripped bare. I think mine with all the stuff under it and the carpet weighs in around 110 pounds.

Wire shelves are much better than anything you can build with wood. Lighter weight and each section can hold 800 pounds... Talk about over kill...

Plus I like a hinge so, they will lift up. Putting a metal screw through the shelf into the legs will keep it from falling off when you lift it up.

I had a similar discussion this morning with some overlanding folks about the weight saved by deleting the rear seat.

For me related to overlanding it was not just weight savings but, picking up a lot of storage space too. When you can trade dead weight for items you will use camping it is a win win...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great build, great thread. I’d love to do this to one of these rigs if I was a bit younger. Back when I was young I did a lot of camping and hiking in the Oregon back country. Great job. Whose front bumper is that?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refrigerator is an Alpicool CF35

Front bumper is a no longer available FabFour

By the way I am 63 years old and still exploring and camping.
Dang it. I’m 61 but into different stuff now although it looks like I’m retired ( haven’t decided yet) and now you are making me want to get back out there. I wanna build a bagged and bodied C10 next but who knows. Too bad I don’t have more room, I might follow along in your foot steps. Hmmmm.

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wire shelves are much better than anything you can build with wood. Lighter weight and each section can hold 800 pounds... Talk about over kill...

I agree wire shelves are stronger/lighter but plywood is easier to customize (and it's strong enough). I'm planning to build a drawer system as well as a dining/working area in the 2nd row.

BTW where did you get your shelves?

The refrigerator is an Alpicool CF35

I've heard mixed things about Alpicool - on one hand they're a fraction of the price of a Dometic, but I've heard reliability is not amazing.

Perhaps I missed it, but what are you using for an electrical system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne