Turn Signal sounds weird - works fine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odii

Reaction score
I don't know if this is PPV related or what

my turn signal works just fine - perfectly as expected, just passed MD state inspection too

but it *sounds* weird

bink bink, bink bink

it sounds comedic - like it would be impossible to be in a bad mood and turn on that turn signal, it makes me laugh every time.

i would like for it to not sound like that, but i'm not sure if this is a result of some of the PPV upfitter stuff and is expected to sound different or if there is something wrong

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've mentioned possible a head unit swap in other threads. Does the current head unit work? Are the speakers good? I ask, because when my front door speakers in thecopcar croked, I only had sound from the A pillar tweeters, and the signals did sound odd. All was good when I replaced the speakers.

OP
OP
Odii

Odii

Reaction score
You've mentioned possible a head unit swap in other threads. Does the current head unit work? Are the speakers good? I ask, because when my front door speakers in thecopcar croked, I only had sound from the A pillar tweeters, and the signals did sound odd. All was good when I replaced the speakers.
interesting.

I did replace the head unit with something i got on crutchfield --- nothing super fancy, but works pretty great and i'm real happy with it.

I guess it did occur to me that i never drove it and used the turn signal before swapping the head unit - so i don't know if related.

AND i was actually meaning to check if, in fact, i was getting sound from the front speakers - it *feels* like they're only coming from the pillar tweeters. so i will check that in the morning.

I'm very grateful for this site and for folks like you spark - it has made this journey a lot less scary than it could have otherwise been

OP
OP
Odii

Odii

Reaction score
update: front speakers are working fine, wonder if i should replace to match the back ones anyhow

maybe i'll just have to learn to enjoy the weird **** ****

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is PPV related or what

my turn signal works just fine - perfectly as expected, just passed MD state inspection too

but it *sounds* weird

bink bink, bink bink

it sounds comedic - like it would be impossible to be in a bad mood and turn on that turn signal, it makes me laugh every time.

i would like for it to not sound like that, but i'm not sure if this is a result of some of the PPV upfitter stuff and is expected to sound different or if there is something wrong

As @Sparksalot mentioned, interfaces for aftermarket HUs create turn signal and warning chime sounds since the factory ones are lost with the factory HU. Like factory, the sounds are played through the driver's door speaker. I've actually changed interface modules because of the turn signal sounds. I think my first one was a PAC GMLAN and I didn't like the sounds it made. I think what I now have is an Axxess GMOS. It sounds more like factory, but the signal sound is really low. I have a PAC RP5 on deck to swap in that should be satisfactory all around.

OP
OP
Odii

Odii

Reaction score
This is the head unit and setup I went with. Looks like I got the pac rp5 you mentioned
Screenshot_20230130-214930.png

I wonder if something isn't connected correctly in this case, because the sound is peculiar

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the head unit and setup I went with. Looks like I got the pac rp5 you mentioned
View attachment 390869

Well, damn. I guess all of PAC's stuff just has a particular sound, and it's lame.

I wonder if something isn't connected correctly in this case, because the sound is peculiar

I doubt it. If everything else is working as it should, then it's probably just "that unique PAC sound". :disgust:

I'd say that you probably saved me the hassle of swapping the interface again. But, I'll probably do it anyway since the RP5 has the steering wheel controls built-in and I need the universal Axxess SW-1 for another project. I might look into the Crux. My Tahoe Twin buddy has this and I think his turn signals are factory-like in sound and volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts