Turn off 4wd lights on 2wd Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! FNG here.
I have a 2001 Yukon that is frame swapped. It was a 4WD SLE originally. It apparently drove up over a pole and wiped out the frame and all components underneath. So, the previous owner swapped the body onto a frame from a 2WD with a tree smashed body. PO never did really finish the project. So now i've got it where i'm pretty close to driving it. One thing that has me stumped is the 4WD warnings. Since I have no T-case or front diff, I imagine the system is looking for those related sensors or switches and it's setting the service 4wd light as a result. Has anybody here ever heard of a way to disable to trick the 4WD system? I'm thinking I might be able to just plug the missing components in and tie them up out of the way, or wire in some resistors to trick the controller into thinking everything is hunky dory. Thoughts??

OP
OP
DIsney

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahhh I see. Didn't realize you still had the trans case module in there. Unplug it and see where that gets you - may or may not throw codes for failure to communicate. If it does, reflash pcm to appropriate 2wd firmware. If not, then you're set to go
PCM does not set any codes for this. The Codes (DTCs) are coming from the TCCM and displaying on the information center in the combi meter (cluster).
I like the unplug it option. I'll feel like a moron if that works, but I hope it works!

OP
OP
DIsney

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, unplugging the TCCM didn't work. Still have "Service 4WD" on the dash display.