Turbo Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Planning to pull the trigger on a turbo kit for my PPV Tahoe sometime the fall. My choice currently is the trick performance kit. I've also browsed at the On3 performance kit as well as the KB racing turbo kit. My question to you guys is has anyone on here purchased any of the kits listed above, and has and or is currently running them on there Tahoe?

If not I definitely plan to keep everyone posted when I do so.

https://www.shop.trickperformanceproducts.com/Entry-turbo-kit-Entry-Level-Turbo-Kit.htm

http://www.on3performance.com/shop/2007-2013-chevygmc-silverado-sierra-15002500-truck-turbo-system/

http://www.kbracing.net/about.html
Procharger all the way

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 3200 stall in my previous 2dr, it was about 4600lbs, was my daily and I drove it several time to NC from MA. No tune just a built trans, stall, intake and exhaust. Granted its a SBC but it still drove great as a daily and when you got on it, then you knew it was ready to roll.
A 2500 may be a bit small for such a heavy SUV. I think you'd be happier with a higher stall in the 3000/3200 range. Especially with the power adder.

Do you have experience with HP Tuners?
Did you buy a junkyard 80 and do work to it?
Is the Speartech a plug and play harness? I think it is.
How do you like the 3k stall? Is your Tahoe 2wd?
I don't have any experience with HP Tuners. My truck is currently ego live tuned, but I want to switch to hp tuners. The Speartech harness is plug and play, but you need a segment swap. There is a 2 plug harness with relay that is 60e tune friendly and doesnt require a segment swap.

I actually got my trans from a company that dismantled municipality vehicles. Its actually a 4L85 and I'm 2wd. The trans was like new, but they had to dismantle the vehicles and not allowed to sell the vehicles whole..see pic.i broke down the valvebody, pump and did the necessary mods to make it all work.

I had a 26-2800 stall in my 60 and it felt stock at times, but my 3k stall is a lot more aggressive, plus it's billet and triple disc. It lets the engine spool fast and twice as strong, but not super loose. If I could keep my trans locked in O/D with 0% throttle it would be great, but it's an efi live issue and the reason I want to change to hp tuners since they got it figured out..I plan to add a blower at some point and it's going to be nuts..6ca05063b21c537c93dcf2cb14c1bed4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be reluctant to push up the stall on a turbo'ed engine. That turbo will do some of that by itself once it is in boost. And a heavy vehicle is also more sensitive to a higher stall. Not a big deal for racing. But for every day driving, highway, and maybe even hauling a trailer behind it at times, a higher stall could invite more heat. The flip side is that a turbo engine will spool and leave even faster with a higher stall. go figure.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be reluctant to push up the stall on a turbo'ed engine. That turbo will do some of that by itself once it is in boost. And a heavy vehicle is also more sensitive to a higher stall. Not a big deal for racing. But for every day driving, highway, and maybe even hauling a trailer behind it at times, a higher stall could invite more heat. The flip side is that a turbo engine will spool and leave even faster with a higher stall. go figure.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy160:

i was very reluctant to go with a stall on my yukon, past experience was terrible with th400s, 700r4s, 4l60s... lot of heat, always mushy, so much power loss.
even with the "cheap" circle d stall i started with (278mm/2800rpm) it was a whole different ballgame being able to tune lockup. i think i got a little too aggressive with it, between the weight, and they told me it was fine to about 500hp (on lighter applications) it started to show some wear.
when i started talking to them about another converter i just told them as long as it was predictable and consistent to work their magic. had friend of mine swap them out a few weeks ago and so far so good, it's a good bit smaller (258mm, 3x disc, billet) shit wasnt cheap but if you're serious about moving these trucks you gotta spend the money.
before that i hit somewhat of a road block with mine, more and more bolt ons were only producing marginal gains... made the decision to swap converter and have almost picked up half a second in 1/4 mile and .2 just on the 60'.

also, having the ability to lock up the converter earlier and/or under wot eliminates alot of the heat, you're no longer allowing any slippage to happen between the clutches

CADDYwhompus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread. But I recently moved to the Chesapeake area and if you ever need a hand I wouldn't mind helping out, one day I will probably go FI myself on this beast. I'm semi mechanically inclined. Not to mention id love to check out the turbo Tahoe.

OP
OP
ibfreeman88

ibfreeman88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries. currently she is good and running. Plans have changed and I don't think I'm going to do much else to it aside from upgrade the trans a little when it does finally go out and install a small converter just to wake it up a bit out of the hole. By no means is it fast but its a fun full size vehicle for the modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st