Turbo Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ibfreeman88

ibfreeman88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try and get some. I don't really beat on it all to much knowing that the trans isn't going to like it. That and the fact that it accelerates faster partial throttle now than it did when I floored it before lol. But I'll see if I can't get a third gear pull video at some point.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try and get some. I don't really beat on it all to much knowing that the trans isn't going to like it. That and the fact that it accelerates faster partial throttle now than it did when I floored it before lol. But I'll see if I can't get a third gear pull video at some point.
In the words of Alejandro..that looks delicious..lol..I wanna hear that exhaust. It sure wiuld be nice to find someone local who can do decent Tig welding and not stick weld like a 3rd grader..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ibfreeman88

ibfreeman88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
short clip of a second gear pull from yesterday. made a few changes not long ago so need to get the tune changed up a bit as you can see from the wideband its crazy rich throughout the pull. this was second gear from 10 mph which should have been in first but I didn't come to complete stop. I eased into it until about 2500-3K rpms just to make sure the trans wasn't going to slip in the video lol. 7lbs of boost.

https://flic.kr/p/2b5wLbS

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. What are your plans to do with the 80?
Are you planning on a stall? If so, do you have an idea of what you want?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my next piece to the puzzle as well today. Getting some quotes around the area for coat in regards to what I plan to get done and then it will be on the way out. 4L80eView attachment 209660
Nice, what tuner you planning to use?. you don't have to do much to an 80e to make it hold big power..dual feed it and get a strong aftermarket converter with a decent stall..whatever you do don't drill your valvebody for the transgo kit. There are better options..luckily I caught my mistake before installing it.

OP
OP
ibfreeman88

ibfreeman88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I plan to do a stall but nothing to crazy to be honest with you. I still use the truck for a lot and want it to stay versatile so I'm thinking maybe a 2500 or so.

Nice. What are your plans to do with the 80?
Are you planning on a stall? If so, do you have an idea of what you want?

If I'm not mistaken it should be able to be tuned through the factory ECU and HP tuners so I plan to go that route. And I figured a set of better clutches and maybe a shift kit nothing crazy. Going to ask around and see what may work best with my combination and also with whatever cam I choose shortly after the trans.

Nice, what tuner you planning to use?. you don't have to do much to an 80e to make it hold big power..dual feed it and get a strong aftermarket converter with a decent stall..whatever you do don't drill your valvebody for the transgo kit. There are better options..luckily I caught my mistake before installing it.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I plan to do a stall but nothing to crazy to be honest with you. I still use the truck for a lot and want it to stay versatile so I'm thinking maybe a 2500 or so.

If I'm not mistaken it should be able to be tuned through the factory ECU and HP tuners so I plan to go that route. And I figured a set of better clutches and maybe a shift kit nothing crazy. Going to ask around and see what may work best with my combination and also with whatever cam I choose shortly after the trans.
HP Tuners has better tuning options and u won't have the unlocked converter issues EFI Live does. U can use the factory 2 wire connections and re pin your ecm for the 80e. It's only 2 wires added. U can also re pin the factory 60 harness to the 80 transmission. I used the Speartech harness adapter. It not cheap, but it works. You would also need a trans segment swap which the tuner could do.

I'm not sure if this option works with hp tuners but I have seen guys run the 80 with 60 tune and they just adjust the trans ratios. This is honestly the best way to run this trans with efi live.

I'm running a Transgo HD reprogramming kit. I did all the valvebody mods myself to adjust each shift feel. U will want to adjust your shift points based on the stall u run or they will be harsh..u adjust them by drilling the transgo plate.I would not recommend drilling your valvebody though, but using the Sonnax boost valve relief instead. The Transgo relief option can cause you to burn your trans down from low pressure if it hangs open. If you go further into it I can give your more info. I have factory clutches and I'm running a cammed 6ltr with 3k stall. It handles it fine and is much smoother than my modded 60e with shift kit was. It honestly shifts like it's saying is that all u got..lol..

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had a 3200 stall in my previous 2dr, it was about 4600lbs, was my daily and I drove it several time to NC from MA. No tune just a built trans, stall, intake and exhaust. Granted its a SBC but it still drove great as a daily and when you got on it, then you knew it was ready to roll.
A 2500 may be a bit small for such a heavy SUV. I think you'd be happier with a higher stall in the 3000/3200 range. Especially with the power adder.

HP Tuners has better tuning options and u won't have the unlocked converter issues EFI Live does. U can use the factory 2 wire connections and re pin your ecm for the 80e. It's only 2 wires added. U can also re pin the factory 60 harness to the 80 transmission. I used the Speartech harness adapter. It not cheap, but it works. You would also need a trans segment swap which the tuner could do.

I'm not sure if this option works with hp tuners but I have seen guys run the 80 with 60 tune and they just adjust the trans ratios. This is honestly the best way to run this trans with efi live.

I'm running a Transgo HD reprogramming kit. I did all the valvebody mods myself to adjust each shift feel. U will want to adjust your shift points based on the stall u run or they will be harsh..u adjust them by drilling the transgo plate.I would not recommend drilling your valvebody though, but using the Sonnax boost valve relief instead. The Transgo relief option can cause you to burn your trans down from low pressure if it hangs open. If you go further into it I can give your more info. I have factory clutches and I'm running a cammed 6ltr with 3k stall. It handles it fine and is much smoother than my modded 60e with shift kit was. It honestly shifts like it's saying is that all u got..lol..

Do you have experience with HP Tuners?
Did you buy a junkyard 80 and do work to it?
Is the Speartech a plug and play harness? I think it is.
How do you like the 3k stall? Is your Tahoe 2wd?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcuevas9026