tune vs. tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me start by saying this, I have seen huge improvements from a custom tune on my 6.0 powerstroke...and I totally understand how one tuner finds areas that other don't.

little history, I HATE the way my 2011 5.3 Tahoe z71 drives. to start it obviously needs more gear, but the shift schedule is horrible due to this.

so I came across a local deal through a co worker who had no idea of how to use a generic programmer for his truck. so I grab it, it was a SC unit that allows for TM adjustments, along with shift points.

since the use, I have been able to make huge improvements in drivability, just by raising the shift points. and actually seen an increase of roughly 1.5 MPG by running a 91 octane PERF tune with these custom changes.

I have played with the TM, but that only seems to affect how the shifts feel.

Now, I have wanted to do a BB tune for sometime on this vehicle, but being the wifes driver, I am rarely in it, until now, and it is my new driver....

so, on to the question,

what kind of benefits, can I see or are to be had with the BB tune vs what I have currently ?

I totally understand on diesels, who different avenues for making power can affect how they run, and how hot....blah blah blah,

but on a gasser, the refinements seem way smaller, so maybe anyone on here or BB can give some insight based on experience, or even dyno sheets showing the power band ?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gassers and diesels are totally different animals when it comes to power production and tuning.

We have had quite a few customers switch from Superchips over to our tune. Bottom line, we are able to build a tune specific to your vehicle, rather than an off the shelf tuner based on 1-2 test vehicles.

OP
OP
STORMIN08

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I thank you for the ever so generic response. seems all tuners have the same telemarketing info sheet laid for responses. J/K.

but, as I had asked, are you able to provide any type of a dyno graph showing where or how much power is being produced ?

again, I don't see any huge benefits in any different area, as this is all due to cam and timing, where as a diesel, you could control how much and when you introduce the fuel.

I am sure I am asking for a miracle when I say I would like to have 100 lbs/ft more torque down low out of my 5.3.

I am extremely happy with how, my good friends 6.0 2500 truck turned out, as he attempted to have a live tune done, but got a bum auto-cal....even the email tunes were very impressive.

( you may recall the truck ) silver 2011 EX cab w/6" lift, kooks headers and magna flow cat back.....65 yr old driver !

I guess I should broad base my question more to the forum, just to receive response from someone who has switched ?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
well, I thank you for the ever so generic response. seems all tuners have the same telemarketing info sheet laid for responses. J/K.

but, as I had asked, are you able to provide any type of a dyno graph showing where or how much power is being produced ?

again, I don't see any huge benefits in any different area, as this is all due to cam and timing, where as a diesel, you could control how much and when you introduce the fuel.

I am sure I am asking for a miracle when I say I would like to have 100 lbs/ft more torque down low out of my 5.3.

I am extremely happy with how, my good friends 6.0 2500 truck turned out, as he attempted to have a live tune done, but got a bum auto-cal....even the email tunes were very impressive.

( you may recall the truck ) silver 2011 EX cab w/6" lift, kooks headers and magna flow cat back.....65 yr old driver !

I guess I should broad base my question more to the forum, just to receive response from someone who has switched ?

We generally see 10-25hp (HP is a function of torque x RPM) and 10-20ft-lbs, all dependent on fuel quality and octane. IF your vehicle has any modifications, you may see greater gains or zero peak gains, it all depends on how the modification impacts the various sensors in the vehicle. Torque gains are fairly consistent across the operating range.

OP
OP
STORMIN08

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for the delayed response, had an unexpected business trip this week.

I do thank you for the response, I think my plan is going to run what I currently have as I would like to do exhaust, and possibly an intake tube, w/stock air box.

what I intend is to have it tuned in person...( any coming up near the st.louis area ?

what cams have you seen that offer better low end and mid range, but still have good street manners ?

I feel the 6 speed trans is fairly strong, but it is just held back by the TM reduction schedules.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
you wont find any unhappy people that use BB here. Other than the competitors

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
sorry for the delayed response, had an unexpected business trip this week.

I do thank you for the response, I think my plan is going to run what I currently have as I would like to do exhaust, and possibly an intake tube, w/stock air box.

what I intend is to have it tuned in person...( any coming up near the st.louis area ?

what cams have you seen that offer better low end and mid range, but still have good street manners ?

I feel the 6 speed trans is fairly strong, but it is just held back by the TM reduction schedules.

Cam selection will be more of a personal preference thing. What I recommend for folks is to contact the cam company they plan on using, letting them know what they would like out of the cam (performance wise as well as sound) and any other mods they plan on doing in the future. The companies are really good about grind recommendations.

Exhausts provide little to no performance benefit, but you will see some performance increase from an intake.

We have had quite a bit of interest for the St. Louis area, and folks on some of the other forums have been trying to increase the interest enough for a meet. We are completely booked through Winter, so if a St. Louis meet happened, it would be in the Spring or Summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14