Tune for Regular Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarkHorizon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2.00 for regular and 2.50 for premium = premium is 50 cents extra per gallon.... 5.00 for regular and 5.50 for premium = 50 extra cents per gallon for premium... the "cost" of running premium is the same, your savings trying to run regular at 2.00 a gallon would be the same as it is now.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.00 for regular and 2.50 for premium = premium is 50 cents extra per gallon.... 5.00 for regular and 5.50 for premium = 50 extra cents per gallon for premium... the "cost" of running premium is the same, your savings trying to run regular at 2.00 a gallon would be the same as it is now.
The problem is that premium doesnt always stay at a consistent pricing above regular pricing. I see it 50 cents to 75 cents difference depending on the gas station/ gasoline brand.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real problem with E10-E15 is it absorbs water - in particular if the vehicle sits for any length of time and temperature varies.

Being highly hygroscopic, ethanol will enable whatever fuel it's blended with to absorb more water. Water in fuel is rarely a good thing, and causes a number of problems for the equipment that uses that fuel. One big problem is a tendency that is called phase separation, which relates to the fact that an E10 or E15 ethanol blend can only absorb so much water.

If the ethanol fuel absorbs ulls too much water, phase separation occurs - the ethanol comes out of solution with the gasoline. Essentially, the mixture breaks apart. When this happens, it destroys the quality of that gasoline and strips away a good amount of the octane rating of that fuel. You end up with poor quality gasoline and a layer of water and gasoline in the bottom of your fuel tank that can damage your engine if it’s sucked up into the combustion chamber by your fuel line.
So how long is too long to sit with Ethanol in the tank?

Mine has sat for a month between refuelings, often at a 1/4 tank or less with E85 on board.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how long is too long to sit with Ethanol in the tank?

Mine has sat for a month between refuelings, often at a 1/4 tank or less with E85 on board.
That depends on the environment. If it is very humid, you could get phase separation pretty quickly. The hygroscopic properties of ethanol are the exact reason I try to run ethanol free in my boat. It is probably less of an issue in vehicles, just because they tend to get emptied faster.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That depends on the environment. If it is very humid, you could get phase separation pretty quickly. The hygroscopic properties of ethanol are the exact reason I try to run ethanol free in my boat. It is probably less of an issue in vehicles, just because they tend to get emptied faster.
I reckon phase separation takes longer than a month down here in Florida. Thus far it has not been an issue for the Yukon. The lawn tractor, edger and generator all get fed 93 octane gasoline with some percentage of ethanol in it. Haven't had an issue with them after about 4 years either yet.

DarkHorizon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem is that premium doesnt always stay at a consistent pricing above regular pricing. I see it 50 cents to 75 cents difference depending on the gas station/ gasoline brand.
If it was inconsistent at 2.00 its going to be the same at 5.00 is the only point I'm making.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any more POLITICS on this thread it will be locked or completely deleted. If you can not answer the OP'S question then do not respond to this thread.

vince7870

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wanna tune my 2022 Yukon 6.2 for more power!!!! Anyone figure that out yet