Tune first, or....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you suggest going with a tune first, then adding things like a CAI? I am trying to figure out which performance mod I should do first on '15i Yukon.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get your CAI and any exhaust or performance mods done first then tune, otherwise you won't be taking advantage of the maximum output of your mods with the tune.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you suggest going with a tune first, then adding things like a CAI? I am trying to figure out which performance mod I should do first on '15i Yukon.
Hello Chris, that is correct you want to add them before you get the tune. But with our AutoCal tuning which is done via email, we can update the tune for free, if you are looking to add the mods down the road.

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. Went ahead and ordered the AFE Momentum intake, then I will do the tune in a few months!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @Fosscore , I found this thread through doing some searching on exhaust mods and such. As you can probably tell, I'm new to doing this type of mod. But I will be ready in a month or so. I think at least one cat is starting to go bad, as there was a rattling noise and when we had it up on the lift at my buddy's jeep shop, they found bits of the converter rattling around in the exhaust. So if have to replace my cars, I may as well do a custom exhaust while they are down there and have everything out right?! Lol. So my question is, what's the best route to go for mild exhaust upgrade. Don't need anything crazy, just something relatively simple that will give my 6.0 a little beefier exhaust sound and maybe a little performance, without breaking the bank, lol and what direction to go for replacing the cats?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Bigbeardenali1992

Hey man.

On the simplest front I just did a K&N CAI, Flowmaster 50 muffler, changed the tip and had an in person BLack Bear tune done.

The sound out of my 4.8 is great. Not obnoxious, but enough on start up and when putting my foot into it.

I have a couple sound clips in my build thread.

Really depends on how in depth and $$ you want to go. You want the tops well then Red Rocket is a perfect example.

You already have a beast in that 6.0. Even just changing the muffler will give you some more sound and the CAI. Not really a HP gain, but the noise is kind of worth it over stock IMO and it won't break the bank.

I remember OHSIXX did the Corsa Sport exhaust on his Denali and never had a bad word to say about it. The right sound and fit. Not cheap, but may be worth looking at as an option for a catback complete system.

Your Denali and how classy she is could probably use the Corsa (little expensive but quality) or just a muffler change (much cheaper) to bring some life to the exhaust.

Here it is on Jegs. Pricey yes, but could be worth it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Corsa/255/142...MI2riwodWI1QIVEyOBCh318QrzEAQYAiABEgJkePD_BwE

I don't have any info on replacing the cats as I have not encountered that issue yet.

Hope this helps a bit in your research.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info @Fosscore , thanks man! Not sure which route I wanna go yet. I would love a corsa sport. I've heard very good things about it. Unfortunately right now with having to replace the cats, the corsa isn't in the budget haha. I wish it was! I'm looking into some mild exhaust setups. I do want to do a black bear tune as well. Unfortunately I don't think they'll be out in California so I'll have to do that all via email and such when I'm ready. That will be next on the list once cats and exhaust are done. Thinking maybe the flow master you have, it sounds good. I also found some mbrp options to look into as well, so I wanna see if I can find any sounds clips of those.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Good info @Fosscore , thanks man! Not sure which route I wanna go yet. I would love a corsa sport. I've heard very good things about it. Unfortunately right now with having to replace the cats, the corsa isn't in the budget haha. I wish it was! I'm looking into some mild exhaust setups. I do want to do a black bear tune as well. Unfortunately I don't think they'll be out in California so I'll have to do that all via email and such when I'm ready. That will be next on the list once cats and exhaust are done. Thinking maybe the flow master you have, it sounds good. I also found some mbrp options to look into as well, so I wanna see if I can find any sounds clips of those.

Check out the craven R that @DDenali put on his. Good sound there, too.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep the Carven or Black Widow could be a winner.

@NeverSatisfied has a Carven and then the big thread on the Black Widow as well might be worth checking out for something different and not as mainstream.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Bigbeardenali1992

Really depends on how in depth and $$ you want to go. You want the tops well then Red Rocket is a perfect example.
I am a BAD example. I used to have a patch for my Harley jacket that says "I am NOT your role model". Look, I just installed an Aero muffler that the shop said is actually LOUDER than a straight pipe. DO NOT DO AS RED ROCKET DOES or you might get arrested lol.