Trying to get low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be toe in too.

Unless there's some serious caster issues, toe OUT would be the more likely culprit for inner shoulder wear.

G-d I'm trying to remember what the heck I did.
I know when I installed my suspension, I did not have any camber kits installed. That was roughly 4/6
Then I adjusted my suspension (to lower it) and installed the adjustable cam bushing. That was closer to 5 or 5.5 up front.
Finally adjusted again (to lift it back up) and removed the arms w/the alignment bushings and put new arms back in. That time the alignment was in spec or very close to it. Ending back at roughly 4".

Looking at the way it sits right now. I need to bring the front up another inch for it to sit fairly level. Or, remove the rear set up and install coil overs to lower it down to level it out that way. But, this is not really a priority right now so once I get the front situated, I'm hoping I will be able to set it and forget it for a while. I'd like to focus on the body this spring/summer and fix the damage from the jackleg who hit a few weeks ago.

Do you recall how the steering felt right after you lowered it and had it aligned compared to how it felt at stock height? There's a chance your alignment may be within spec when it's sitting on the rack, but when the suspension is cycling, the caster, camber and toe may be swinging much more than with the stock suspension. Have you used the same alignment shop and/or tech every time? They may be setting the camber and toe and calling it good. Get before and after printouts?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there's some serious caster issues, toe OUT would be the more likely culprit for inner shoulder wear.

Do you recall how the steering felt right after you lowered it and had it aligned compared to how it felt at stock height? There's a chance your alignment may be within spec when it's sitting on the rack, but when the suspension is cycling, the caster, camber and toe may be swinging much more than with the stock suspension. Have you used the same alignment shop and/or tech every time? They may be setting the camber and toe and calling it good. Get before and after printouts?
Yeah duh. I should have just stuck with toe lol.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In all honesty, I don't recall.
I did use the same shop to do both alignments, not sure about techs though.
I think I still have the printout. I do haha.
Isn't that how they align it? Setting camber and toe? How should they be doing it?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the process.

alignment sheet.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The top was when you brought the truck in and the bottom is when it left.

The camber is still off... only it shows positive camber which would cause the outside edges to wear faster.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The top was when you brought the truck in and the bottom is when it left.

The camber is still off... only it shows positive camber which would cause the outside edges to wear faster.
My outer edges are really scrubbed out from my alignment. I run 22's in the summer, so it took awhile for it to show up. Gonna try to get another alignment from a different shop.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I don't recall.
I did use the same shop to do both alignments, not sure about techs though.
I think I still have the printout. I do haha.
Isn't that how they align it? Setting camber and toe? How should they be doing it?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the process.

View attachment 216057

There are three dimensions to adjust for: toe, camber and caster. Well, there's thrust angle, but let's keep it basic. Toe and camber are the easiest to nail. Getting the caster set is a little more of a pain cuz it affects the camber when you adjust for it and vice versa. It can kinda be a balancing act. Also, if you have aftermarket control arms and/or spindles, the way the parts swing/tilt/articulate as the suspension is cycled when driving could be vastly different than with the stock parts. For instance, with the stock parts, the toe, caster and camber may only move out of their static settings a few tenths of a degree (just to throw out a number). With the aftermarket parts, the new geometry could cause the toe, caster and camber to swing more than a full degree(again, just throwing out a number) away from their static settings. This is why I asked if you felt a difference in the steering after it was lowered and aligned. A "drastic" (even as small as 1 degree or maybe less) change in caster and toe could very well make a noticeable change in the feel of the steering, especially when hitting large and shallow dips and humps on the highway.

Looking at the that printout, and as Ken pointed out, your camber is almost a full degree out with positive camber. I believe the stock settings call for a slight bit of negative camber. If so, you're almost a full degree out of spec on the camber.

Also, as Ken mentioned, positive camber would cause the outside edges to wear. I'm no expert, but that printout and your inner shoulder wear tells me that the tires are toeing out or cambering in as the suspension cycles, like there's a lot of extra movement going on.

I'd first make sure your parts are all good- no loose bolts, etc. and have another reputable shop check the alignment. There's a chance the first shop's equipment is out of calibration.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
There are three dimensions to adjust for: toe, camber and caster. Well, there's thrust angle, but let's keep it basic. Toe and camber are the easiest to nail. Getting the caster set is a little more of a pain cuz it affects the camber when you. It can kinda be a balancing act. Also, if you have aftermarket control arms and/or spindles, the way the parts swing/tilt/articulate as the suspension is cycled when driving could be vastly different than with the stock parts. For instance, with the stock parts, the toe, caster and camber may only move out of their static settings a few tenths of a degree (just to throw out a number). With the aftermarket parts, the new geometry could cause the toe, caster and camber to swing more than a full degree(again, just throwing out a number) away from their static settings. This is why I asked if you felt a difference in the steering after it was lowered and aligned. A "drastic" (even as small as 1 degree or maybe less) change in caster and toe could very well make a noticeable change in the feel of the steering, especially when hitting large and shallow dips and humps on the highway.

Looking at the that printout, and as Ken pointed out, your camber is almost a full degree out with positive camber. I believe the stock settings call for a slight bit of negative camber. If so, you're almost a full degree out of spec on the camber.

Also, as Ken mentioned, positive camber would cause the outside edges to wear. I'm no expert, but that printout and your inner shoulder wear tells me that the tires are toeing out or cambering in as the suspension cycles, like there's a lot of extra movement going on.

I'd first make sure your parts are all good- no loose bolts, etc. and have another reputable shop check the alignment. There's a chance the first shop's equipment is out of calibration.
Question--so the shops shoo you out the door with your alignment still not right because the average person doesn't know squat about alignment specs? Actually more of a statement I guess.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question--so the shops shoo you out the door with your alignment still not right because the average person doesn't know squat about alignment specs? Actually more of a statement I guess.

Happens all the time, especially with busy shops. Their usual dog in the fight is that you have aftermarket parts and "that's the best they could do with what you've done and brought to them". Most shops are less inclined to spend an extra hour tweaking on a modified vehicle when they could be knocking out two alignments on stock vehicles in the same time frame. Pretty much every shop has a set price for their alignment labor, so a vehicle that takes twice as long isn't doing them any favors.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they don’t give you a printout with before, after and stock allowable settings they probably don’t want you to know how they did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st