Trip Mileage Much Higher Than Odometer Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no its stored in the flash ram aka nvram in the cluster
that is why I was suggesting it was idle hours rather then driving hours (when its in park it starts the hour counter )

just like the crown vics accumulate time in park or neutral

if it has 4,100 hours on it they used it as a "mobile" power source so it would indecate it was used in a commercial environment
if it resets to zero hours you have a memory chip issue in the cluster..

Turn the key on and the trip time starts running, turn the engine on and the hour meter starts keeping time. My engine hours and trip time between fuelings are near identical. I do not usually leave the key on with the engine off but do idle a lot.

Last year my youngest daughter ran the battery dead by mistake which caused all kinds of haywire including the hour meter resetting. It's keeping time fine now and has started from zero again. It must've reset at some other point as it had 1687 hours with 125K miles. That would suggest an average speed of 74.65 mph! Since October of 2017 her average speed has been just over 27 mph.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2009 Tahoe and it was showing around 2300 engine hrs, obviously at some point the battery had died and it had reset itself back to 0 since the truck had 196000 miles on it when I bought it. That would be an average of over 85 mph LOL. I have seen several online posts where it was stated that the engine hour counter had reset to 0 after a dead battery. Seems unusual though that the trip meter would go UP and not simply reset to zero if the battery went dead? and I have never seen where anyone claimed that the odometer reset itself to 0 when a battery went dead?
I guess if I owned this particular truck with this strange anomaly that my curiosity would be peaked and I would be trying to find and talk to the previous owners just to satisfy myself that I did not get ripped off by a shady dealership.........

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about you post a photo of the driver seat I 'll tell how many miles you got include the rubber seal along the door(the bottom ) as well..

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about you post a photo of the driver seat I 'll tell how many miles you got include the rubber seal along the door(the bottom ) as well..

LOL now this sounds like a fun guessing game. I would say a 10% margin plus or minus would be fair?
I will go first, lets all play? HINT THIS IS A 2018 GMC SIERRA. HOW MANY MILES?IMG_7363.jpg
IMG_7364.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bottom rubber is tore up on my Yukon, reason being some previous owner (short person) always stepped on it there getting in & out, I never put my foot there and eventually I will replace the seal. same goes for the hvac control buttons mine were worn down and I replaced that already some people are rough on things so I think this is subjective, same for my Silverado the fog light button was worn so bad that it had a hole in when I bought it at 5 years old, I replaced the button almost 10 years ago still and it looks like brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium