Travel trailer/toy hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
So I’m thinking about purchasing a travel trailer or toy hauler. Would like to hear from you guys and gals that are into the RV lifestyle.
It would be nice to have a toy hauler to bring along the dirt bikes or maybe a golf cart or sxs. Thinking a snowmobile trip would be nice too and having my hotel room with me but I’m afraid that having the toy storage really cuts into the living and sleeping space that I would want when doing the family camping weekend. Any thoughts on this? I could always get a sled deck that mounts on bed of pickup and just go with a travel trailer.
I really like the Forest River trailers. They seem to be well built and the layout is nice. But I found a Dutchman Denali 30’ for a good deal. Has a new roof, new tires, seems very well maintained and stored indoors. I think I just wanna start off with a used one and not break the bank until I know for sure this is something we will get into as a family. If it’s not a toy hauler, I wanna stay bumper pull so I can use my truck bed. If I decide to go all in on this I’ll probably go fifth wheel and toy hauler eventually.
So what can you tell me? Should I start out renting one to see if I like it? I just hate sleeping in other peoples bed and having kids I’d be a nervous wreck that they’ll break something. That Denali books for $18k and I can get it for $10. Think if I bought it and after a year I didn’t use it enough to justify it I could at least break even? We have a trip to the Smokey’s planned for October and I would like to have something like this rather than spending $1500 on a cabin for 5 days.
Any input is appreciated.
7779EE25-9F5F-4F6E-BF7C-416523C10B61.jpeg
8631E274-23E9-4E0E-BF59-A198130D70BD.jpeg
6773C23A-987B-4C02-825E-F057817A0DAE.jpeg
D7AF96D0-C257-4516-A2AA-1C662D9ECB7A.jpeg

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am probably not the right guy to answer as i have only owned ours for about a week (and it is our first camper) . and have not even slept in it yet. but i defiantly say start used and be sure it is gonna be something your going to be into. that way you can learn on something a little cheaper and not feel as bad when something breaks.

honestly i dont even know how much we are going to use ours, but we have a couple things specific that made us choose what we did, and i dont recommend someone got the route we did for a first. but i am looking forward to using it a bit to find out. my sister uses hers all the time, although they ride alot they do not have a toy hauler or take the bike with when camping. and just because it can haul stuff, does not mean you HAVE to!

now what we got is a 40' 5th toy hauler that comes in at about 13k dry. IT IS HUGE!!!! (see the pic next to my buddys standard bumper pull) i dont even have a vehicle to pull it with yet! (truck pictured is my buddies, to get it home) but two very large items that made us choose such a thing. we are looking to sell my mother in laws house, and use the money from sale to build her something after, but she will need a place to live while something is in the works. hence a camper the size of a house.. also we want to head to alaska for a vacation at some point and i am sure it would make things very comfy to live in for 6 weeks or so.

but we are also not immune to selling and getting something different or smaller after the initial need is met.

so bottom line try it and see!!! if you can afford to buy and try or rent and try and see how you and the fam like it. and go from there. be sure to check into weights, hitches ect for safe pulling.

for more pics and such if interested click the link in my sig and you can check it out on my thread.

IMG_20220521_121056780_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220521_120950344_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220521_121026992_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220522_200513687_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
@bigdog9191999, that thing is huge! I’d never go that big unless I planned on traveling for weeks at a time. That should serve the mother in law nicely, that’s bigger and nicer than most apartments I’m sure. I think I’m just gonna buy one and see how it goes. If I don’t use it as often as I’d like hopefully I can sell at a minimum loss. Appreciate the response.

robidereck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can suggest some options for those trailers that may suit many travelers. It all depends on the goals. If you want to store your stuff there, its quality will be lower. If you want to live there, I'll tell you about something cool. I have experience buying trailers. Actually, I had three. But this year, I'll buy a fourth one. I'll sell the one I've been using since 2019. I read an article about the best travel trailers with trailer characteristics comparison tables. I can share it with you if you want. The coolest thing I found is the Grand Design RV Imagine 3210BH Bunk Room.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN