Transmission Upgrade/Update for a 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one? Their web site is awful. This is the only one that says billet anything when I search for “6L80 torque converter.”

This one:

The CVC model number is BU60FHD

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says 6L90, is it 3 bolts or 6? Will they take my stock converter as a core? Can it be used temporarily on the stock tune?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
It says 6L90, is it 3 bolts or 6? Will they take my stock converter as a core? Can it be used temporarily on the stock tune?

I have a crank and flywheel from a 2500hd 6.0.
and I can confirm that it's a 3 bolt converter, the one calling for my 5.3 fits perfectly.

If it doesn't, this is my flexplate.

good seller, it looked perfect.
It's also the same crank bolt pattern as my 5.3 crank has.
I didn't see much difference other than an updated design that looked to be geared towards lighting up the rotating assembly.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Also, I would suggest to pick one of these up

I don't know why, but my circled converter didn't come with one.
My FTI that i have on my vette did...

this is the Oring that goes on the input/turbing shaft.
If the old one is damaged or failing, it could lead to lockup clutch failure.

Lube it up with something like Vaseline so it resists tearing.

If you also want,
Replace the pump seal while your in there.
there is a little clip holding it in, super easy.
give it a thin coating of atf and push it in there and reinstall the clip.
The seal Pops in and out with ease.

It's a Fantastic design compared to the 4l60. :headbang:

ACDelco PN 24237531
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DXC272

Also,
Make sure that converter fully seats into the pump.
Before removing push, the converter all the way into the transmission.
Note how far it's sitting in there as a general reference.

I like to try and support the converter as much as possible, mostly I don't want to gouge the pump bushing, tear the pump seal, or damage that turbine O-ring.

One of the biggest noob mistakes is to not fully seat the converter into the pump.
the pump rotor can't take much force from the side and it's very easy to damage the thing if you try and install the engine into a converter that's not fully seated.
Result would be a transmission rebuild, even if you catch it after a few failed attempts.
pump is probably already damaged and will probably break apart later down the road.

They say to rotate the converter and you should hear 3 clicks.
My last time installing the converter I heard 2 clicks, and a weak 3rd.

the converter sat below the bell housing so I felt like it would be an easy mistake to make thinking it's gtg.
It didn't look right to me since I know the flywheel sticks out from the block a bit, so I kept at it until I got a solid 3rd click and the converter dropped all the way in.
But that was with a brand-new pump and bushings. :patriot:

If you want to go really "proper"
use actual transgel to lube things up.

this stuff turns into atf when exposed to transmission fluid.
completely compatible and it won't mess anything up like a grease would.

One tub goes a very long ways. :jester:
I have had the same tub for years, and learned to use it as a buffer of sorts to prevent catching corners of seals.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt the 6L80 in my 2010 at 192K miles after torque converter lock failure that spit metal in the tranny so 78k miles on it since rebuild. I bought a full rebuild kit with clutches and a Sonaco Zip kit. When I got the tranny apart I realized I could have got a kit without clutches since the factory had 0.002" of wear max. I replaced the fluid last weekend as it had started to do a few funny shifts, that has always been my sign to change the fluid in this tranny it is all smooth again.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I found a picture on another page of their web site and it does have three bolts at least. No mention of the stall speed though. I guess I’ll go ahead and order one for the 13, I drove it for an hour today and it seemed like it had a light shudder once or twice that I thought I had noticed before. I may still get the Circle D for my 08 to get a slightly higher stall.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scroll down on the page and you'll see this table.

And yes, they will.

1657514250316.png

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I bought that torque converter when I did. They want over $700 for it now! It was an ordeal getting a shipping label to return my core but other than that the converter works fine. I can't tell a difference from the stock one. It also feels the same as before with the Zip Kit installed, maybe that's exactly how it's supposed to be since it really isn't a "shift kit" per say. I haven't had it tuned yet because Vengeance Racing no longer does outside tuning, so I don't know who I'm going to use.

As far as the 2008, I'm not sure what I'm doing with it either. I found some information about some supposedly better Raybestos components including a wave delete on the 3-5-R but I haven't researched anything yet. I've spent too much money buying discontinued Platinum parts to keep in stock so the transmission really isn't a high priority. I may still go with the Circle D converter and a slightly higher stall (like maybe 2000) but I'm not sure. I saw someone who claimed to have rattling noise with the Circle D and sent it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe