Transmission Towing Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Suburban 5.3 w/ 6 speed also. Just towed to Virginia 800 miles. It was hot out. In the moring I didnt touch 200 degrees. Afternoon 200-215 all day. 1600 miles of towing and my trans fluid is still cherry red as it was changed out 5k before I left for trip. Very important to check coolant condition. The other things guys forget it to blow out radiator and cooler fins with compressed air from behind. I had my bumper off to put in an LED light bar and you would not believe the crap that hit that floor from the fins. Make sure you have protective glasses on when doing it. Good luck

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Suburban 5.3 w/ 6 speed also. Just towed to Virginia 800 miles. It was hot out. In the moring I didnt touch 200 degrees. Afternoon 200-215 all day. 1600 miles of towing and my trans fluid is still cherry red as it was changed out 5k before I left for trip. Very important to check coolant condition. The other things guys forget it to blow out radiator and cooler fins with compressed air from behind. I had my bumper off to put in an LED light bar and you would not believe the crap that hit that floor from the fins. Make sure you have protective glasses on when doing it. Good luck

Don't let it get past about 36K-45K or sooner if you tow the same again. I did a week of local towing on mine and the BlackStone Labs report said it had about 10K miles of life left in it at 36K. The hot warnings don't come on until the 260s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos