Transmission swap 4l80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok to start i have been searching a few forums and all over the internet for about a month now.. and yes i have searched this forum..

There are a couple members that have 4l80e swaps.. and i specifically need to ask a couple key qyestions to these guys.. i have looked and sked members to help me track down said members but to no luck the ones i need to question i cant find..

so here goes.. 4l80 swap into 4wd tahoe....

ok to start i want to use my current Tcase if at all possible..

Issues the 4l80 is a 32 spline male output shaft
the 4l60 is a 27 spline output..

this means the Tcase is a 27 spline input female and have 27 spline outputs for my current yokes..

only true solution i can find cost $500 and it is a back housing converter for the 80 and it converts the 80 output to a 27 spline.. Yea this sounds all good.. BUT !!! the delima is this adapter/converter shifts the Tcase back 1.75-3.5 inches.. resultantly causing me to make a trip to the Drive shaft shop and spend more money to have them modified for the shift

IF anyone can lead me in a direction would be great..

also i know i could run the 5 series Tcase from the HD trucks.. but these are still pricy even when used. and would still cause me to have to get different Slip yokes for my Shafts. and if i recall the yoke to U-joint on the 32s is larger than the 27 yoke yet causing another issue..

This is driving me crazy.. i know there is a solution thanks in advanced.. if this is a repeat thread i am sorry i could not find the answers i am wanting..

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you've checked out performancetrucks.net? but they have a lot of 60e-80e swap info for 4wd and rwd trucks. I'm looking at doing this swap myself and it may be sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up I went over to that forum. Lots of info and details I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys for anyone that may do this in future or needs to know.. it is a simple affordable solution

http://tbtrans.com/transfer_case.htm

new 32 spline Transfer case input shaft..
part # 19019
236/246 input, 32 spline 4L80E $98.50 + shipping total + $115 to south carolina

you have to tear the Tcase apart but it is about an hour round trip ordeal as long as you do not break thing..

i have ordered the part

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jdpber, when you get your swap completed could you give us feedback on the spacing between gears. I've read that some love it and some hate it so I'd really love to hear your take and why.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure thing.. it will be easy 8 months before the full conversion is done... all i can say is the 5.3 is going and NOT being replaced by a GM motor..... :naughty:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Looking forward to the build!

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a secret build till it happens.. all i can say is it yall will enjoy..and the parts purchasing has begun......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne