Transmission swap 06 to 02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulSorvillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello
I have a 2002 GMC Yukon XL that needs a transmission
I have a 2006 GMC Yukon XL with a rebuilt transmission but the car is junk, the frame is rotted and the motor is blown
I had to get a junkyard transfer case for my 02
The one I got came out of an 02
My question is, can I take the transmission out of the 06 and put it in the 02?
Are all the connections the same?
I called the local Chevy dealership with the VIN #'s and they said the transmissions would be compatible
My concern is the 02 transfer case and 02 wiring harness being able to tell the transmission when to shift properly
Thank you!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The only real difference would be the 06 has a speed sensor but that would not be needed for the 02 so that point is moot. You definitely would not be able to use a 02 in a 06.

OP
OP
P

PaulSorvillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so you are saying 06 can go into an 02 but an 02 couldn't go into an 06? That's good news for me :)
Yes. The only real difference would be the 06 has a speed sensor but that would not be needed for the 02 so that point is moot. You definitely would not be able to use a 02 in a 06.

SamBurban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The neutral safety switches are different so just re-use the NSS from your 02. Everything else is the same.

OP
OP
P

PaulSorvillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The neutral safety switches are different so just re-use the NSS from your 02. Everything else is the same.
Thank you
Yes I actually just got off the phone with the transmission shop that sold me the one in the 06 that I want to use in the 02 and he told me the same thing
Just switch the neutral safety switch :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN