Transmission slips from 2nd to 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the A4 have a purge like the A6? Do you have a custom tune?

Did a fast learn on my 6 today along with a flash to base trans tune and my transmission shifts way better now. Was flaring like crazy on 1-2, 2-3. Torque management is now ridiculous aggressive though.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by A4 and A6?

OP
OP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4spd auto or 6spd

Ah! It is a 4 speed auto. No tune. Flared from 2-3. Had it rebuilt, flare still exists. Assuming a re-flash or maybe something along the lines of that is necessary?

Isn't that the mechanic's job to check before rebuilding the transmission?

How much could that potentially run me? We know now the tranny isn't the issue. What else can be causing the flaring?

Thanks!

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was referring to was purging the clutches which is done with software post install. I know nothing about the 4spd's but it is basically required when doing a 6 speed. That is a common occurence when it isn't done.

OP
OP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What I was referring to was purging the clutches which is done with software post install. I know nothing about the 4spd's but it is basically required when doing a 6 speed. That is a common occurence when it isn't done.

Interesting. I will run that by my mechanic. He told me he is going to pick up the truck today (from the tranny guy) and re-program it using his computer.

Maybe that will solve the problem?

Thanks

MonoAnt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 and 4 are totally different animals. Pressure solenoid possibly? But if it was that i would think it would actually "slip" in all gears. I would replace the shift solenoids if that hasnt been done yet. Drop the pan remove the filter and there they be little clips hold them into the valve body. They are pretty cheap. Just spit ballin here

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

But you said you tried a whole different trans though right? If so im at a loss

OP
OP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
6 and 4 are totally different animals. Pressure solenoid possibly? But if it was that i would think it would actually "slip" in all gears. I would replace the shift solenoids if that hasnt been done yet. Drop the pan remove the filter and there they be little clips hold them into the valve body. They are pretty cheap. Just spit ballin here

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

But you said you tried a whole different trans though right? If so im at a loss

Yup. A whole different transmission as well. So at this point, I am thinking the computer needs to be re-programmed.

:/

04POS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but am hoping to catch a break... Ive had a 2004 Tahoe Z71 for about a year now, and had the same situation as stated in first post. I followed exact same steps you did, costing me about $4K in a rebuilt warrantied transmission. I still have the same slippage problem, and exactly the same here I have a lot more torque.
I'm in the same boat as I think it is something electrical as all mechanical pieces have been addressed. These posts stop so I'm hoping the issue was resloved? Can you please share what happened? Cause I'm getting ready to let it roll down a hill into traffic at this point.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recomend a deep lake or even of a high cliff into a deep lake and make sure you bail out of the car safely gut get a few cuts and bruises
then u can tell your insurance company " idont know what happened all the sudden the brakes stopped working when i was going to park near this cliff over the lake"
LMAIO this way if they try to come after you for insurance fraud they gotta haul that ***** outta the lake

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing id do is disconnect the battery for like a few minute conect it back up and go drive around what this will do is cause your PCM to re learn your driving habits
re programming the computer as you referred to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14