Transmission/Shifting Won't work 2021 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mannyp02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s right where it’s at on that decal inside the driver’s door where the VIN is. There should be a small date code such as 03/21 for March 2021.
Yep, I saw the tire info and GVWR stickers but overlooked that one. It is 3/21.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great…same date as mine. :)

Thanks. Did they get yours all fixed?

OP
OP
M

mannyp02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great…same date as mine. :)

Thanks. Did they get yours all fixed?
Yeah, to be honest I expected my build date to be earlier as I knew there had been problems with earlier builds; I sincerely hope your vehicle is problem free because GM's customer service is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with.

To update everyone (and apologies for the long winded post): I finally did get my vehicle back from the dealership in FL on Aug. 17th! That means my vehicle had been at the dealership for repair for over a month at that point (it went in on July 7th). Again, that was the second time going in for repair for the same issue only 4 days after I got it back from the first dealership who "fixed" it. Since my last post on July 24th, it has been an absolute nightmare experience. My first (yes, there have been several) customer service advisor claimed to have submitted my request for a buyback on July 23rd. After my initial conversation with her, I was never again able to get ahold of her. Multiple voicemails left with no callbacks, multiple calls where I stayed on hold for over an hour with no assistance. I eventually found out my case had been transferred to another advisor without my knowledge. Then it was transferred again (again with no email or correspondence to inform me of such). Finally it had been transferred again to an agent who called me earlier this week. She told me that there was no evidence that a buyback was ever submitted (this is more than a month after I was told it was submitted). She said she would call me on Wednesday to update me now that it finally had been submitted. Of course I never heard from her and so I finally called again (couldn't get ahold of her, wow big surprise there) and finally after holding for almost an hour I got very upset and demanded to speak to the highest level of management I could. This supposed supervisor came onto the line and told me that yet again, no buyback request had ever been put in. She asked if my vehicle was repaired and when I told her that I did receive it last week and so far the issue hadn't presented again (last time it took about 800 miles after it was "fixed" before it happened again) she said that they couldn't request a buyback because they repaired it. WTF?!? Basically she said that they could offer me other options such as an extended warranty, GM Rewards, etc. but nothing to actually replace or buyback the vehicle. At this point I was irate and absolutely refused anything except a buyback or legal action. she basically said, okay good luck.

So far the vehicle has operated fine. It very well may never present with the same issue since the dealership in FL repaired/replaced more than just the TCM. However, I have no confidence in this specific vehicle and am pissed off to the point that I plan to pursue lemon law regardless due to the way they have handled this situation. At the point I got my vehicle back, it had been in the shop 42% of the time I had owned it. I'd made two payments during that time without the vehicle in my possession and they didn't even have the courtesy to offer any kind of assistance or payment on their behalf. NC lemon law states that if a vehicle is in the shop for 20 business days during a 12 month period it qualifies for lemon law and mine has been in for 42 cumulative days. I plan to speak with my lawyer next week and pursue litigation if nothing further is done. I did call back and left my latest advisor yet another voicemail this evening although I certainly don't expect to hear back from her.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, to be honest I expected my build date to be earlier as I knew there had been problems with earlier builds; I sincerely hope your vehicle is problem free because GM's customer service is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with.

To update everyone (and apologies for the long winded post): I finally did get my vehicle back from the dealership in FL on Aug. 17th! That means my vehicle had been at the dealership for repair for over a month at that point (it went in on July 7th). Again, that was the second time going in for repair for the same issue only 4 days after I got it back from the first dealership who "fixed" it. Since my last post on July 24th, it has been an absolute nightmare experience. My first (yes, there have been several) customer service advisor claimed to have submitted my request for a buyback on July 23rd. After my initial conversation with her, I was never again able to get ahold of her. Multiple voicemails left with no callbacks, multiple calls where I stayed on hold for over an hour with no assistance. I eventually found out my case had been transferred to another advisor without my knowledge. Then it was transferred again (again with no email or correspondence to inform me of such). Finally it had been transferred again to an agent who called me earlier this week. She told me that there was no evidence that a buyback was ever submitted (this is more than a month after I was told it was submitted). She said she would call me on Wednesday to update me now that it finally had been submitted. Of course I never heard from her and so I finally called again (couldn't get ahold of her, wow big surprise there) and finally after holding for almost an hour I got very upset and demanded to speak to the highest level of management I could. This supposed supervisor came onto the line and told me that yet again, no buyback request had ever been put in. She asked if my vehicle was repaired and when I told her that I did receive it last week and so far the issue hadn't presented again (last time it took about 800 miles after it was "fixed" before it happened again) she said that they couldn't request a buyback because they repaired it. WTF?!? Basically she said that they could offer me other options such as an extended warranty, GM Rewards, etc. but nothing to actually replace or buyback the vehicle. At this point I was irate and absolutely refused anything except a buyback or legal action. she basically said, okay good luck.

So far the vehicle has operated fine. It very well may never present with the same issue since the dealership in FL repaired/replaced more than just the TCM. However, I have no confidence in this specific vehicle and am pissed off to the point that I plan to pursue lemon law regardless due to the way they have handled this situation. At the point I got my vehicle back, it had been in the shop 42% of the time I had owned it. I'd made two payments during that time without the vehicle in my possession and they didn't even have the courtesy to offer any kind of assistance or payment on their behalf. NC lemon law states that if a vehicle is in the shop for 20 business days during a 12 month period it qualifies for lemon law and mine has been in for 42 cumulative days. I plan to speak with my lawyer next week and pursue litigation if nothing further is done. I did call back and left my latest advisor yet another voicemail this evening although I certainly don't expect to hear back from her.
Wow...that is just nuts. I hope that's a rare condition, but it's hard to tell on these.

I'm up to 3,800 miles on mine and it doesn't give me a piece of mind about the longevity of this new model reading this along with the lifter issues on this forum. I've had several other vehicles in the past that were new (all from GM) and aside from minor issues/stuff that would take a few hours at the dealer to fix, I've never been in a scenario like that.

Hopefully you can get through to the right person and get past the "level 1" people in their customer service department. If the worst happens and nothing can be done, maybe try to get that extended warranty option...at least when you go to trade it in, that should help increase the value a little (I had a Corvette about 10 years ago and on that the GM Protection Plan extended warranty helped a little on trade-in).

I wish you the best of luck on that...curious how it all works out.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't go through GM customer cares. Just get a lemon law attorney. Provide them with ALL service reports, emails an any communications you've had with GM/dealers. You have a good case and will get some compensation. Your truck is fixed, so likelihood of a full buyback is limited. I've went through this process......

FutureTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, after reading this thread I'm sort of depressed because I really wanted to buy a 2021 Tahoe or Denali, lol. I'm in Canada so I really doubt that there's any sort of difference in anyway the vehicle has been built mechanically. I used to own a 2015 Escalade Platinum and it gave me a lot of transmission problems for a while to the point I got rid of it as soon as my lease expired. I was really hoping the new generation of Tahoe/Denali would be that much better :(

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow…these 2021 issues are crazy. I know cars have issues and new builds have surprises but this is kinda crazy. I’m running a 2016 Denali and just fell victim to the Chevy Shake. I was thinking about trading her in and getting 2021 but it’s looking more like a hard - NO WAY. I know it’s not as big as these beasts but I’m starting to lean towards the Lexus GX. Still get the V8 but not the chunk but I guess I can live with something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins