Transmission rear seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rolexus

Reaction score
Hi All! Re: 05 Tahoe, 5.3 litre, 4WD: Recently replaced the transfer case motor ‘encoder sensor ring’ with great success (thanks YouTube!), can now use dash selector to change between all options - previously stuck in 2 WD only.

While under there, noticed rear Transmission seal is a bit wet.

If I proceed with replacing this seal, and after removing the driveshaft, is this a fairly straightforward procedure, only needing to replace the seal? Or are there more items to consider?

Also, Is aftermarket rear seal okay? Or should I be ordering OEM from dealer?

Any advice most welcome, Cheers, Dwayne

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All! Re: 05 Tahoe, 5.3 litre, 4WD: Recently replaced the transfer case motor ‘encoder sensor ring’ with great success (thanks YouTube!), can now use dash selector to change between all options - previously stuck in 2 WD only.

While under there, noticed rear Transmission seal is a bit wet.

If I proceed with replacing this seal, and after removing the driveshaft, is this a fairly straightforward procedure, only needing to replace the seal? Or are there more items to consider?

Also, Is aftermarket rear seal okay? Or should I be ordering OEM from dealer?

Any advice most welcome, Cheers, Dwayne
You mean Tcase rear seal? There are 2 types. One flat a stereotypical seal and the other is like a boot and is real thick. Make sure you replace your seal with the same type that is installed now. They are easy to replace. Pry out with a screwdriver after dinking the side of the seal with a hammer and screwdriver or punch. Be very careful not to damage the inner diameter of the case where the seal pops into.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
No, the main transmission rear seal is what’s leaking

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
I imagine that once the main driveshaft is removed, then it’s just using TLC to remove the existing seal, with caution not to damage the main trans rear housing?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like the front of the main driveshaft would connect to the transfer case. Is it leaking there, or closer to the engine between the transmission and the transfer case?

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, the leaky seal is at the front of the main driveshaft, which connects the differential to the transfer case

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, the leaky seal is at the front of the main driveshaft, which connects the differential to the transfer case
There is no rear transmission seal on a 4wd chevy. There is a seal that goes between the Tranny and Tcase. Most just put silicone gasket maker there. There is a rear seal on the Tcase that the REAR driveshaft goes into when it enters the rear of the TCASE. A 2wd transmission has a rear seal that the driveshaft goes into but the driveshaft does not attach to a 4wd tranny. It attaches to the rear of the Tcase.
Power from the engine travels in this order in a 4wd. Torque Converter, Transmission, Tcase, Driveshaft, Rearend Differential, Rear Axles, Tires(rims).

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
There is no rear transmission seal on a 4wd chevy. There is a seal that goes between the Tranny and Tcase. Most just put silicone gasket maker there. There is a rear seal on the Tcase that the REAR driveshaft goes into when it enters the rear of the TCASE. A 2wd transmission has a rear seal that the driveshaft goes into but the driveshaft does not attach to a 4wd tranny. It attaches to the rear of the Tcase.
Power from the engine travels in this order in a 4wd. Torque Converter, Transmission, Tcase, Driveshaft, Rearend Differential, Rear Axles, Tires(rims).
Thanks! Yup, I got a little confused, crawling under the truck (unjacked); the seal in question is the back end of the T Case.

So to replace the seal, no big whoop, I’m hoping. Just remove the driveshaft, gently remove the seal, reinstall carefully, then reattached the drive shaft.

Any tricks that Will make this swap a bit smother- any lubricant, etc.?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yup, I got a little confused, crawling under the truck (unjacked); the seal in question is the back end of the T Case.

So to replace the seal, no big whoop, I’m hoping. Just remove the driveshaft, gently remove the seal, reinstall carefully, then reattached the drive shaft.

Any tricks that Will make this swap a bit smother- any lubricant, etc.?
Wipe tranny fluid on lips of new seal where it meets the driveshaft yoke before installing the seal. Remember there are 2 types of seals and you have to install the same type that was originally installed.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Wipe tranny fluid on lips of new seal where it meets the driveshaft yoke before installing the seal. Remember there are 2 types of seals and you have to install the same type that was originally installed.
Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17