Transmission problems?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need help diagnosing a problem on my 03 Tahoe. The other day I was driving at a normal hwy speed and everything appeared to be working properly. I pulled up to a red light and when I went to take off it didn’t downshift to 1st. Instead it tried taking off in 2nd. I pulled over, killed the truck, started it back, and it drove like normal. After that I drove another 45 minutes back home problem free. So I was thinking maybe some kind of electrical bug and just overlooked it. The next day I was heading to work and everything was working fine. I was cruising at 60 and all of the sudden it acted like it was in neutral. It wouldn’t go anywhere when I gave it gas. So I pulled off and came to a stop and went to take off again and it worked fine for a couple miles then all of the sudden it would do it again. So finally after this happening 4 or 5 times I left it on the side of the road and caught a ride to work. Anyone ever had this problem or know what it might be? Also the trans has been rebuilt within the past 20k-30k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooseman93

Reaction score
I hope I'm not sending you on a useless exercise here but I had some really strange transmission problems. Turns out a small critter had made a home in the engine fuse/electrical box and had eaten through several wires.

You can remove the top part of the box without too much trouble to get to the huge bundle of wires underneath. I had to splice and solder about 6 wires but afterwards it was as good as new, even fixed my outside temperature display!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need help diagnosing a problem on my 03 Tahoe. The other day I was driving at a normal hwy speed and everything appeared to be working properly. I pulled up to a red light and when I went to take off it didn’t downshift to 1st. Instead it tried taking off in 2nd. I pulled over, killed the truck, started it back, and it drove like normal. After that I drove another 45 minutes back home problem free. So I was thinking maybe some kind of electrical bug and just overlooked it. The next day I was heading to work and everything was working fine. I was cruising at 60 and all of the sudden it acted like it was in neutral. It wouldn’t go anywhere when I gave it gas. So I pulled off and came to a stop and went to take off again and it worked fine for a couple miles then all of the sudden it would do it again. So finally after this happening 4 or 5 times I left it on the side of the road and caught a ride to work. Anyone ever had this problem or know what it might be? Also the trans has been rebuilt within the past 20k-30k miles.

it's really hard to say but what you are describing sounds like a solenoid issue, by that I mean a solenoid could be going bad and it doesn't want to do it's job they get worn and sticky, the good news it's usually a relatively cheap fix usually around $250 to replace both solenoids (at a shop), I say both because it's advisable to just do them both at the same time since there both right beside each other, there is a 1-2 solenoid and a 3-4 solenoid. It's a fairly common problem and even if it was rebuilt if the old solenoids were functional they probably just put them back in.

OP
OP
Chase Epperson

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The warranty is already up on it. I did get in contact with the shop that built it and they’re going to diagnose it for free. The guy also said he would help me out since they’re the ones that built it in the first place. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious. It sounds electrical to me, but I’m for damn sure not a transmission builder so what do I know? Anyways I appreciate the input!

OP
OP
Chase Epperson

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I got it fixed by the same shop that built it for me. An electrical problem caused all of it. There was a corroded wire from the computer to the trans that was the culprit. I ended up needing a new torque converter and a transmission pump. Thankfully they took care of me.

OP
OP
Chase Epperson

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I understood from the guy at the shop the converter failed and when it did it sent debris into the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844