Transmission life on the early Hoes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's possible but also suggests that GM should update the owners manual to require it before 100k.
You can just take it to any independent shop.

Or do it yourself. I know I was intimidated by anything transmissions until a few years ago.

Here's one way to do it that has worked well for me which I learned on another forum:

Disconnect the cooler line going to the radiator, hookup a clear plastic tube into a 5 gallon bucket. With a helper, turn on the engine and wait until the fluid on the tube starts spitting, then shut off the engine. This pumps most of the old fluid from the torque converter that would normally remain if you just drop the pan.

Now remove the pan, which should only have minimal fluid remaining. Replace filter. Clean the pan, magnet reinstall it*. Dump about 6 qts of ATF through the dipstick tube. Have the remainder of the ATF ready and dump them in as soon as you start the engine, then proceed with checking proper level after shifting through the gears.

It's not that difficult once you do it.

You can leave the cooler line disconnected until you start seeing bright red fluid coming through it, then reconnect it after shutting the engine.

*Consider replacing the electrical harness while you are there if you don't know the service history or is original.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just take it to any independent shop.

Or do it yourself. I know I was intimidated by anything transmissions until a few years ago.

Here's one way to do it that has worked well for me which I learned on another forum:

Disconnect the cooler line going to the radiator, hookup a clear plastic tube into a 5 gallon bucket. With a helper, turn on the engine and wait until the fluid on the tube starts spitting, then shut off the engine. This pumps most of the old fluid from the torque converter that would normally remain if you just drop the pan.

Now remove the pan, which should only have minimal fluid remaining. Replace filter. Clean the pan, magnet reinstall it*. Dump about 6 qts of ATF through the dipstick tube. Have the remainder of the ATF ready and dump them in as soon as you start the engine, then proceed with checking proper level after shifting through the gears.

It's not that difficult once you do it.

You can leave the cooler line disconnected until you start seeing bright red fluid coming through it, then reconnect it after shutting the engine.

*Consider replacing the electrical harness while you are there if you don't know the service history or is original.
I was able to find an independent shop who after driving and looking at data on the Tranmissions performance changed filter and fluid. So far, after 2.5k miles it's been doing fine. Not that I had an issue to begin with, I was just trying to maintain my vehicle as per the manufacturer's specs.

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself with the flush method, it is really easy, you don't need a car lift and it cost you 1/2 an hour and 20 liter transmission fluid..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094