Transmission Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiffyb09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and have recently had (what seemed to be) transmission issues that included issues like missing while driving, slow changing gears including high RPM's, along with hard down-shifting when coming to a stop. I took it to a Chevrolet dealership who told me that I needed a new transmission costing $5,500. I have already put $3,000 in it over the last 6 months including Throttle Position Sensor, the Throttle Body Module, Wheel Bearings, etc. so hearing another $5,500 was definitely a shock.

I found a local guy that works on transmissions so I took it to him for a 2nd opinion. He found that there were no transmission issues, it wasn't throwing any codes and that the problem lied with the motor mount. When the accelerator was being pushed, the engine was jumping around with no stability. When coming to a complete stop, as the car would slow down, the engine itself was dropping causing the hard down-shift of the transmission. Fortunately, he saved me the $5,500 but it did cost me $850. I'm praying this fully fixed the issue because spending over $4,000 in less than 6 months is crazy.

I love my Tahoe, especially with the Hybrid functionality so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tiffany B.

OP
OP
T

Tiffyb09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the problem go away after motor mounts? Good job getting a 2nd opinion
So far yes. The missing while driving and high RPM's have went away. Its only been a couple of days but hoping it stays that way.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good that probably means it wasn’t an engine miss but the motor jumping around under a load. Good luck

Sean James

Reaction score
Wow! Good information, and a damn good mechanic. I would have never suspected mounts could cause this. But with no codes, I would not even considered a trans, that stealership sucks, and you should post about it in your local community boards, etc.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Good information, and a damn good mechanic. I would have never suspected mounts could cause this. But with no codes, I would not even considered a trans, that stealership sucks, and you should post about it in your local community boards, etc.
yeah the dealership would have had no issue telling you that it was a tras. because they make more on labor cost

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me if it was the transmission you would still be putting up with it, they don't just miraculously stop acting up once they start acting up. Its either its there or its gone. Glad he saved you from the stealer ship. A transmission running over 4k installed is stealing from your customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts