Transmission in gear, Truck won’t move.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add a transmission cooler (assuming mine doesn't have a decent one already). I do plan on towing a boat, utility trailer with my tractor and probably a smaller camper in the future. I wish I had taken a picture of the RPO code sticker before I left it at the dealer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Id bypass the thermostat only first and see how your temps do then think about a cooler. With the thermostat in place the cooler does not even come in to play until after the thermostat set temp which is 180 or 190 I cant remember.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my Tahoe back last night. I had it for less than 50 miles and 2 hours before all hell broke lose. Apparently they forgot to put one of the retaining clips on the cooler line (side of transmission thermostat. It managed to stay in until I was roughly an 1/8th mile from my house. When it popped it was able to pump out just shy of 8qts of fluid. Luckily I caught it as soon as I rolled into the driveway and noticed smoke lighting up under my garage light.

Long story short. Dealer felt horrible and immediately ordered 8qts of fluid and a retaining clip from the nearest parts store for me (at my request vs waiting on them to fix it). I went and picked it up and fixed it myself. So far so good. I logged another 20-30 miles to make sure it was shifting fine. Now I just need to degrease the underside and get it cleaned back up.

Hopefully there was no damage caused, but with it happening so close to home (literally measured the oil trail) I think it should be okay.

Nick

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got my Tahoe back last night. I had it for less than 50 miles and 2 hours before all hell broke lose. Apparently they forgot to put one of the retaining clips on the cooler line (side of transmission thermostat. It managed to stay in until I was roughly an 1/8th mile from my house. When it popped it was able to pump out just shy of 8qts of fluid. Luckily I caught it as soon as I rolled into the driveway and noticed smoke lighting up under my garage light.

Long story short. Dealer felt horrible and immediately ordered 8qts of fluid and a retaining clip from the nearest parts store for me (at my request vs waiting on them to fix it). I went and picked it up and fixed it myself. So far so good. I logged another 20-30 miles to make sure it was shifting fine. Now I just need to degrease the underside and get it cleaned back up.

Hopefully there was no damage caused, but with it happening so close to home (literally measured the oil trail) I think it should be okay.

Nick

I had the same thing happen to me on a freeway off-ramp. I had replaced my transmission and apparently didn’t get a cooler line pushed all the way in. I filled it up and didn’t have any issues. Hopefully you’ll be fine too.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on a freeway off-ramp. I had replaced my transmission and apparently didn’t get a cooler line pushed all the way in. I filled it up and didn’t have any issues. Hopefully you’ll be fine too.
I'm hoping it'll be fine. If not, I added an extended warranty. Hopefully I won't need to use it twice :)

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s their fault if something happened to it, don’t let them say it’s your fault.
They took full blame. However, If there are any issues that crop up miles from now... I doubt they'll do much of anything. I would most likely take it somewhere else for work anyways. Although my preference is to do all my own work, I just doubt that the extended warranty company will allow me to service it myself.

Nick

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's ****** up Nick!!! I'm sorry this happened you good people. Hopefully will be ok!

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's ****** up Nick!!! I'm sorry this happened you good people. Hopefully will be ok!
Appreciate it. I'm just glad I have it back and it's running. I knew with high mileage I was taking a gamble. I just figured it would be worth it since it'll be a work vehicle. I couldn't justify spending another 10-15k for a lower mileage one then taking it on the roads ok be taking this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter