Transmission in gear, Truck won’t move.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2015 Tahoe LT that the transmission went out within 24hrs from buying. It had 132,000 miles on it. Shifted fine test driving, then it croaked the next morning. It's being replaced now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Nick! Don't let the fluid get past 50K miles on the new one. Consider ditching the transmission's thermostat for longer life. Running them at 195 degrees satisfies the government at the expense of you, the consumer.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Nick! Don't let the fluid get past 50K miles on the new one. Consider ditching the transmission's thermostat for longer life. Running them at 195 degrees satisfies the government at the expense of you, the consumer.
I've read on here about the thermostat. I had no idea that was even a thing. Where is it located? I'll definitely do away with that if so.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on the side of the transmission where the cooler lines go.

Thank you so much for sharing! Really appreciate the help. I can't believe they added a thermostat to the transmission. That is such a weird setup. Was this standard on all models? Is there an actual bypass or is this the only option? Are the trucks setup the same way?

Thanks again!
Nick

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing! Really appreciate the help. I can't believe they added a thermostat to the transmission. That is such a weird setup. Was this standard on all models? Is there an actual bypass or is this the only option? Are the trucks setup the same way?

Thanks again!
Nick

I know this became standard on the new body style for the wagons and pickups, the K2XXs (yours). I would search youtube for other options. Grumpy Bear over at GM-Trucks did something a little different for his. The older body style has the same transmission but does not have this feature, thankfully!

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add a transmission cooler (assuming mine doesn't have a decent one already). I do plan on towing a boat, utility trailer with my tractor and probably a smaller camper in the future. I wish I had taken a picture of the RPO code sticker before I left it at the dealer.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a load of crap. Wonder if it even makes a noticeable difference.

Probably only in the eyes of the government inspector when they are doing CAFE calculations. But in the real world, we see that it shortens transmission life. The 6-speeds in the 900s last longer than in the K2s it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne