1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission gauge question

Discussion in 'Interior' started by TM98, Mar 10, 2017.

1. TM98

TM98 Full Access Member

Name:
    Tim
    I'm wanting to add a way to watch the temperature on my 04 XL's transmission when towing or in general.
    IlI know I could send my cluster off to get one added but is there a way to watch the temperature from some other means? Like the obd2 connector? If you can what app and obd2 adapter would be good with an iPhone?

2. svtthis

svtthis Member

Name:
    Kale
    You can get a bluetooth obd reader off ebay for less than 20 and use either dash command or torque app. I use dash command and it works great. You can even data log in the app. Also if you get dash command you need to make all the gauges for it. Torque is a little easier but I prefer dash command

TM98 likes this.
  3. TM98

TM98 Full Access Member

Name:
    Tim
    How do you go about making the gauges for it?

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Full Access Member

Name:
    Ted
    All you have to do is choose what type of gauge you want, They have a regular round with a needle, Bar graph maybe even digital. I have torque but haven`t used it in a while. You just pick what engine function you want and then you assign the gauge type and size then pin it on the screen. It`s very easy.

TM98 likes this.
  5. treehan77

treehan77 TYF Fiend

Name:
    Travis
    TM98 likes this.
  6. TahoYukon Forum

TahoYukon Forum TYF Newbie

Name:
    TahoYukon
    Tahoe Forum
    Hi there, you could send your cluster to Digital Dash Solutions (fixmyguages.com) and have them add the trans temp gauge and rebuild other gauges while they have it so u don't get any misreading needles so u don't start thinking, " Oh crap, i have low oil pressure. Lol! I also think I read sumwhere that the temp sensor is built with the line pressure sensor, but not sure bout that.

Or

Troll salvage for a 3/4 or 1 ton like yours, just make sure brake booster system is identical (may send to have rebuilt just to be safe).

I ordered a new 03-05 SS white face cluster with red needles & Escalade needle bases with blue LEDs and looks fricken great on my 03 Tahoe.

Took my old cluster cause it worked and put in wife 04 Yuk (diff brake booster) and got "Check Brake Booster" (she didn't tell me when it came up on display, just noticed when my Tahoe was in for shocks). Shop I have used for over 20 years confirmed booster was ok and that cluster was from wrong booster truck, and I didn't tell him cluster was changed, Ha!

Switched back and no error (I think right away, but don't remember now, been a while). I get lots of compliments of the factory trans temp gauge all the time and very nice to see it working. Hope this helps.
    I added a pic, hope you can see

IMG_20151012_191220831.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    jarydM likes this.
  7. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    8481 miles wtf?

8. MrBalll

MrBalll Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    Right. Did you just not want to send Digital Dash a mileage correction sheet? Or do you really just never drive the Tahoe?
    That's what I did with my salvage yard Escalade cluster. Now I have my original mileage back.

9. TahoYukon Forum

TahoYukon Forum TYF Newbie

Name:
    TahoYukon
    Lol, yeah, I didn't care about correct milage at the time because I do not ever plan on selling it and just ordered a brand new cluster the way I wanted. I kinda wish I had, but it still looks Kool I think. And my shop guy had a weird look on Thier face when they went to write down milage, it was hilarious.
    I did just roll 40k on way back from Colorado. I'm gonna keep till it won't roll... And still have to rebuild trans at some point (internal band is wearing out... Since I bought it going on 4 yrs now). Like your reaction to milage though. Lol.
    Would have been saweeeeeeet if I bought with that super low MLS huh.

10. MrBalll

MrBalll Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    I bet the mechanic had a great dumbfounded look on his face.

Would be nice to have that kind of mileage.