Transmission Fluid Replacement Needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamoody

Reaction score
I just returned from towing 5K pound trailer cross country and back (10K miles) including high peaks in the Rockies. I added an after market transmission cooler before leaving which seemed to work well; transmission temps sat around 195F for hours on end, never exceeding 199F even on long climbs. The Yukon now has 20K miles on it so is still pretty new. Should I change out the transmission fluid as a safety factor or was this adventure considered light towing and there is no need to change the fluid?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I'd change it out. But I'm also a favor of cycling through all the factory fluids fairly quickly. Once 5k hits - I'm going through everything but the coolant. Engine oil(I change the filter half way through but run the factory fill for the full service interval), diffs, transfer case, p/s, trans.

Factory interval for fluid+filter is every 45k. If you're doing a lot of towing, I'd drop it to every 30k

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
I'd change it out. But I'm also a favor of cycling through all the factory fluids fairly quickly. Once 5k hits - I'm going through everything but the coolant. Engine oil(I change the filter half way through but run the factory fill for the full service interval), diffs, transfer case, p/s, trans.

Factory interval for fluid+filter is every 45k. If you're doing a lot of towing, I'd drop it to every 30k

Can we change the oil filters in these cars without draining the oil first? (or making a mess?)

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
My mistake - I was thinking "oil," but this thread is about transmission.

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just returned from towing 5K pound trailer cross country and back (10K miles) including high peaks in the Rockies. I added an after market transmission cooler before leaving which seemed to work well; transmission temps sat around 195F for hours on end, never exceeding 199F even on long climbs. The Yukon now has 20K miles on it so is still pretty new. Should I change out the transmission fluid as a safety factor or was this adventure considered light towing and there is no need to change the fluid?
Follow Manufacturers Recommendations some will say dont change till after 100,000 miles and also will not have a dipstick to even check it, they call these new trannys lifetime trannys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne