Transmission Fluid Flush??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I tackled this job today. Not going to lie, it was pretty frustrating, especially for a shadetree like me. I'll post my experience, hopefully it will help someone out. It took me about 4 and a half hours.

Breakdown of costs:
4 gallons ACDelco Dexron VI: $24x4 = $96
ATP gasket & filter set: $20
Cooling line adapter: $11
10' of 3/8" ID hosing: $5
Pick tool set from Harbor Freight: $3
Degreaser/shop towels for the pan: $7
Total: $142.

The dealer wanted $339 for this service.

The first snag I ran into was getting the c-clip off the "quick release" cooling line. If you think your pick tools are small enough, chances are, they aren't, you need a really freaking tiny pick tool to get that off there. I messed around with it for 15 minutes until I got the end of the pick around the clip. Having barely any room to mess around below the coolant line doesn't help either. There's probably a specialized tool for removing the clips but whatever, I don't do this often enough to buy it. Then when I was putting the adapter on, my fear came true, I dropped and lost the clip. Unless you put it on just right, it will pop out and go flying. I taped the hose in place so it wouldn't fall out while pumping fluid. Draining the fluid went well. Just as the tutorial says, it'll pump about 3.5-4 quarts out in about 30 seconds before it starts to bubble. My old fluid was dark brown. Once I got that out, I went underneath to get the pan out.

The pan bolts come off easy. They're 10mm. I was able to use the lever method that Meccanoble used (thanks for that one, man) to lower the exhaust, but it was nervewracking because you're forcing the exhaust to go where it doesn't want to go. Even with that it was a huge pain to get the pan off. It will get hung up on a component on the passenger side, then when you slide it forward, it will get caught on the cooler lines. There's a 15mm bolt holding the cooler lines in place that you can take off to get a tiny bit more movement, but since they're hard lines they don't move much. I had to twist the pan sideways just right to pull it out. It had about a half a quart in it. Worth noting that on a 6L80e you don't have to remove the shift linkage or even the heat shield!

The filter comes off easy, but the ring gasket above it is another story. It was jammed in the bore pretty good. I used wire-cutters to cut a notch in the side, and then another notch, and from there I was able to get a screwdriver in between the bore and the ring. Once you can bend it, it will come out no problem. The new one fit tight, but you can tap it in with a 7/8" socket on an extension and a hammer. I just kept tapping until it looked like it was touching the transmission. After that's in, the new filter should give you zero trouble going on.

Oh yeah, Simple Green worked wonders for cleaning the pan. The magnet was a pain to clean since all the tiny tiny shavings want to stick to it.

My old gasket looked good, but I decided to put the new one on anyway. When you do this be sure to clean the area underneath where the gasket was. Mine was a tiny bit misshapen so that the locator pins didn't want to stick directly up. This made it a huge pain in the ass to get it lined up. Get two of the bolts handy so you can put one on the front and one on the back as soon as you get the locators lined up. GM recommends tightening the bolts in a certain order. Is it important? Not sure, but I wasn't going to take the chance. I torqued them up in that order to 80 in-lb. and refilled the transmission. When I started the truck, the fluid was coming out really slowly, and in spurts, so I was freaking out thinking that I messed up the pump or something. But I shut it off, turned it back on, and it began flowing like normal again. I got about 3 more quarts out. Did that process twice more. Then the fourth time, I filled the transmission to the cold fill line. I had 16 quarts and used them all. Glad I left a full gallon for the final fill, because it took all of it.

It was about this point that I finally found that damn c-clip. It was on that flat plastic area right in front of the wheelwell retaining plastic. Maybe yours is there too if you drop it.

Here's where the fun starts, I took off the hose and reconnected the cooler line, started the truck, drove around the block, parked it and let it run. Before long I look underneath and see a nice pool of red. So, got back underneath, seems the leak was coming from the rear of the gasket, even though I am 100% certain that the locator is lined up and those bolts are torqued to spec. I decided it couldn't hurt to go above the spec just a tiny bit, so I grabbed my 3/8 ratchet and turned each bolt about a quarter turn. Not much at all. I just finished an hour ago and that seems to have stopped the dripping, but there's still moisture there even after I dried everything off. I don't know, maybe the new gasket needs to swell up? Hopefully it quits leaking but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Anyway, my truck has 130k miles and unknown history on the transmission. It never shifted badly besides some hard shifts at WOT. Can't wait to take it out on the desert roads and see if that's improved. If anyone has any questions about the flush, feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help out. It's worth it for the peace of mind. If I can do it, you can too.
I found out the hard way about those c-clips: when reinstalling a line, install the clip first, then you can just push the line in until it clicks. I had a cooler line come off my tranny a month or two ago and installed a new line. I did it the hard way- put the line in place, then the c-clip after. I also dropped a clip and had to buy new Dorman ones that cost $11 for a set and still installed it the hard way because I didn't know the easy way. And this was on the side of the tranny with no room for fingers to work.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found on those hard rubber tranny pan gaskets that a little past tight, just enough so it starts to squish it, is needed. I use a 1/4" ratchet so I can keep myself from going crazy tight, you don't want to cut it. I always just go by feel though so I don't know what torque it equates to. And obviously no sealant of any kind. Some vehicles use a 3 layer gasket, it goes rubber/metal/rubber. Man those are nice, my cavalier had it from the factory. Haven't found one like it for the 4l60/4l80's yet.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I found out the hard way about those c-clips: when reinstalling a line, install the clip first, then you can just push the line in until it clicks.

Thanks for posting, good tip for sure. I'm going to get some extra clips and just keep them in the glovebox just in case.. I've found a set of 2 for $7 on eBay but more likely I'll just go to the scrapyard and sneak a few out from NBS trucks.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I tackled this job today. Not going to lie, it was pretty frustrating, especially for a shadetree like me. I'll post my experience, hopefully it will help someone out. It took me about 4 and a half hours.

Breakdown of costs:
4 gallons ACDelco Dexron VI: $24x4 = $96
ATP gasket & filter set: $20
Cooling line adapter: $11
10' of 3/8" ID hosing: $5
Pick tool set from Harbor Freight: $3
Degreaser/shop towels for the pan: $7
Total: $142.

The dealer wanted $339 for this service.

The first snag I ran into was getting the c-clip off the "quick release" cooling line. If you think your pick tools are small enough, chances are, they aren't, you need a really freaking tiny pick tool to get that off there. I messed around with it for 15 minutes until I got the end of the pick around the clip. Having barely any room to mess around below the coolant line doesn't help either. There's probably a specialized tool for removing the clips but whatever, I don't do this often enough to buy it. Then when I was putting the adapter on, my fear came true, I dropped and lost the clip. Unless you put it on just right, it will pop out and go flying. I taped the hose in place so it wouldn't fall out while pumping fluid. Draining the fluid went well. Just as the tutorial says, it'll pump about 3.5-4 quarts out in about 30 seconds before it starts to bubble. My old fluid was dark brown. Once I got that out, I went underneath to get the pan out.

The pan bolts come off easy. They're 10mm. I was able to use the lever method that Meccanoble used (thanks for that one, man) to lower the exhaust, but it was nervewracking because you're forcing the exhaust to go where it doesn't want to go. Even with that it was a huge pain to get the pan off. It will get hung up on a component on the passenger side, then when you slide it forward, it will get caught on the cooler lines. There's a 15mm bolt holding the cooler lines in place that you can take off to get a tiny bit more movement, but since they're hard lines they don't move much. I had to twist the pan sideways just right to pull it out. It had about a half a quart in it. Worth noting that on a 6L80e you don't have to remove the shift linkage or even the heat shield!

The filter comes off easy, but the ring gasket above it is another story. It was jammed in the bore pretty good. I used wire-cutters to cut a notch in the side, and then another notch, and from there I was able to get a screwdriver in between the bore and the ring. Once you can bend it, it will come out no problem. The new one fit tight, but you can tap it in with a 7/8" socket on an extension and a hammer. I just kept tapping until it looked like it was touching the transmission. After that's in, the new filter should give you zero trouble going on.

Oh yeah, Simple Green worked wonders for cleaning the pan. The magnet was a pain to clean since all the tiny tiny shavings want to stick to it.

My old gasket looked good, but I decided to put the new one on anyway. When you do this be sure to clean the area underneath where the gasket was. Mine was a tiny bit misshapen so that the locator pins didn't want to stick directly up. This made it a huge pain in the ass to get it lined up. Get two of the bolts handy so you can put one on the front and one on the back as soon as you get the locators lined up. GM recommends tightening the bolts in a certain order. Is it important? Not sure, but I wasn't going to take the chance. I torqued them up in that order to 80 in-lb. and refilled the transmission. When I started the truck, the fluid was coming out really slowly, and in spurts, so I was freaking out thinking that I messed up the pump or something. But I shut it off, turned it back on, and it began flowing like normal again. I got about 3 more quarts out. Did that process twice more. Then the fourth time, I filled the transmission to the cold fill line. I had 16 quarts and used them all. Glad I left a full gallon for the final fill, because it took all of it.

It was about this point that I finally found that damn c-clip. It was on that flat plastic area right in front of the wheelwell retaining plastic. Maybe yours is there too if you drop it.

Here's where the fun starts, I took off the hose and reconnected the cooler line, started the truck, drove around the block, parked it and let it run. Before long I look underneath and see a nice pool of red. So, got back underneath, seems the leak was coming from the rear of the gasket, even though I am 100% certain that the locator is lined up and those bolts are torqued to spec. I decided it couldn't hurt to go above the spec just a tiny bit, so I grabbed my 3/8 ratchet and turned each bolt about a quarter turn. Not much at all. I just finished an hour ago and that seems to have stopped the dripping, but there's still moisture there even after I dried everything off. I don't know, maybe the new gasket needs to swell up? Hopefully it quits leaking but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Anyway, my truck has 130k miles and unknown history on the transmission. It never shifted badly besides some hard shifts at WOT. Can't wait to take it out on the desert roads and see if that's improved. If anyone has any questions about the flush, feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help out. It's worth it for the peace of mind. If I can do it, you can too.

Hey MichealSE, glad you had a successful install! Glad that exhaust bend trick worked for you and yes its scary. I literally moved a little and would try to get pan out by maneuvering in different ways and wouldnt bend exhaust further unless I knew current setting wouldnt be enough.

Regarding pan leak, I wonder if it has to do with the pan gasket. Its interesting you went with ATP brand. There are few brands I heard of that work well. In fear of leaks, I spent bread on the gasket and less on the fluid. Through research, all Dexron VI (well I think its now Dexron 9 which is compatible with 6) are all similar quality but the gaskets are not. I didnt want to cheap out on that pan gasket in fear of install issues, etc. I monitored how difficult the bolts were to loosen and applied same strength to tighten without torquing. Someone posted an issue with using torque wrenches that dont read properly or if you are on the lower end of their spectrum, it can read incorrectly. Didnt want to break a head off the pan screw so just tightened the point I felt it wasnt loose but same strength needed to loosen again. If you broke screws like I have, you know where to stop lol.

Regarding the c Clip, I ended up using a box knife to remove with some patience and it was a slight PITA to reinstall because I put line in first but will definitely install on line before installing line.

So glad this worked out for you and yes it sucks but you know it was done right and dont have to worry about it again for a few years.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear on the c clip: install it in the FITTING first , then push the line in until it clicks, then push the round plastic protector over the c clip.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Hey MichealSE, glad you had a successful install! Glad that exhaust bend trick worked for you and yes its scary. I literally moved a little and would try to get pan out by maneuvering in different ways and wouldnt bend exhaust further unless I knew current setting wouldnt be enough.

Regarding pan leak, I wonder if it has to do with the pan gasket. Its interesting you went with ATP brand. There are few brands I heard of that work well. In fear of leaks, I spent bread on the gasket and less on the fluid. Through research, all Dexron VI (well I think its now Dexron 9 which is compatible with 6) are all similar quality but the gaskets are not. I didnt want to cheap out on that pan gasket in fear of install issues, etc. I monitored how difficult the bolts were to loosen and applied same strength to tighten without torquing. Someone posted an issue with using torque wrenches that dont read properly or if you are on the lower end of their spectrum, it can read incorrectly. Didnt want to break a head off the pan screw so just tightened the point I felt it wasnt loose but same strength needed to loosen again. If you broke screws like I have, you know where to stop lol.

Regarding the c Clip, I ended up using a box knife to remove with some patience and it was a slight PITA to reinstall because I put line in first but will definitely install on line before installing line.

So glad this worked out for you and yes it sucks but you know it was done right and dont have to worry about it again for a few years.

Thanks again for your help, I'd still be scratching my head about how to get the pan off without your awesome write-up. I chose ATP because they seem to have universally good reviews. The low price was a bonus too. What gasket/filter did you end up going with? The gasket I got was well-made, the only issue was the one locator pin. And I think you're right about the torque wrench. I had to borrow it, so it could have been out of calibration. After I tightened it up a bit more, it hasn't leaked, at least it hasn't dripped. The bolts are probably at around 95-100 in-lb now.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help, I'd still be scratching my head about how to get the pan off without your awesome write-up. I chose ATP because they seem to have universally good reviews. The low price was a bonus too. What gasket/filter did you end up going with? The gasket I got was well-made, the only issue was the one locator pin. And I think you're right about the torque wrench. I had to borrow it, so it could have been out of calibration. After I tightened it up a bit more, it hasn't leaked, at least it hasn't dripped. The bolts are probably at around 95-100 in-lb now.

I wanted to get an AC Delco gasket since that is OEM brand but O'Reilly's ordered me some other brand that starts with a "P" ?? Not Purolater, some other name and it was actually more expensive than AC Delco. But he gave me discount because dealership had the gasket cheaper than them (surprisingly!).

Newkon

Reaction score
What fluid is recommended for a 2001 yukon? Dex III? Is it full synthetic?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cant. My understanding is all transmission synthetic fluid is pretty much created equal. I am using the Valvoline red bottle which is easily found at walmarts at a pretty good price for the big jug. I bought like 3 or 4 of them for a full flush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh