Transmission Fluid Flush??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greeco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe 4WD

Just had my 40k mile oil change done at the dealership and the service rep recommended a transmission fluid flush to the tune of $300. I pointed out that the GM service manual requires this at 97,500 miles. He became agitated and told me to "do whatever I want".

I don't tow with the vehicle. It's a daily driver. Is a transmission flush at 40k miles legit?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do it at 30k.

Only pan and filter. Never do a flush unless you had component failure and had metal shavings

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
If anything get a pan with a drain plug in it so you can change the fluid more often. I got a pml pan that holds a quart more fluid and has cooling fins on it. I plan to do filter every other. Trans service

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's an ass, working off commission. Your owners manual is the key here...follow it and you wont have issues. However, changing it more often won't hurt anything either. I agree with all previous advice on here.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way @ 40k. I did mine around 97k (bought it at 67k). I did flush it and saw my temps go down as well as my shifting improve. I did it at home using this method. I wouldn't advise using the machine shops use just because you don't know what's been hooked to it before and what crud might end up in your tranny.

Sparky_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new transmission fluid is full synthetic, I would go with what it says in owners manual.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to replace it at 40k, but if you plan on keeping this truck for many years to come, then I would go ahead and change it. But no way in HELL would I let anyone connect my truck to one of those transmission flushing machines. I flush it myself by connecting a hose barb to the trans fluid return line outlet on the radiator, and running a clear hose to a bucket. I drop the pan and replace the filter, then add about 6 quarts of fluid. Then start the engine and the fluid will begin to flow out of the hose. Once it starts pumping air, stop the engine immediately. Then add 6 more quarts and start the engine and let it pump out again, until you see new fluid running through the hose. Now you have 100% clean FRESH fluid in the pan, lines, and the Torque converter, and you didn't have to connect to a flush machine, OR pay $500 to get it done.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to replace it at 40k, but if you plan on keeping this truck for many years to come, then I would go ahead and change it. But no way in HELL would I let anyone connect my truck to one of those transmission flushing machines. I flush it myself by connecting a hose barb to the trans fluid return line outlet on the radiator, and running a clear hose to a bucket. I drop the pan and replace the filter, then add about 6 quarts of fluid. Then start the engine and the fluid will begin to flow out of the hose. Once it starts pumping air, stop the engine immediately. Then add 6 more quarts and start the engine and let it pump out again, until you see new fluid running through the hose. Now you have 100% clean FRESH fluid in the pan, lines, and the Torque converter, and you didn't have to connect to a flush machine, OR pay $500 to get it done.
I'm curious- when you drop the pan doesn't a lot of trans fluid spill all over? I just bought an extra capacity pan and will be installing it along with a new filter so I want to follow your method but don't want 6 quarts of fluid in my driveway since the stock pan has no drain plug.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious- when you drop the pan doesn't a lot of trans fluid spill all over? I just bought an extra capacity pan and will be installing it along with a new filter so I want to follow your method but don't want 6 quarts of fluid in my driveway since the stock pan has no drain plug.

Yes, unless you use this method to evacuate the pan before hand:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/how-to-4l60e-transmission-flush-filter-change.179148/

Which is what scotty is saying. When you let the truck pump fluid out it is coming out of the pan. You wont get it completely bone dry, but enough so that pan removal is possible without spilling all over.