Transmission end transfer case leak need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axm1096

Reaction score
I recently had my 6l80 transmission replaced with a remanufactured one now i have this leak look like its between the transfer case and the rear of the transmission is there and gasket that goes between them on is it a seal on the end of the transmission thank you in advance c3d3372c37b9269cffe4cad4350a6c44.jpgef25fd866c514f0e4863edcfb11b6374.jpg5bfa35e736a88f7dac0c6b63fe363f3f.jpgbea70dda8a9a28236f55239731e0fc51.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
There’s a gasket to keep dirt out of the area. Oil is kept in by a seal on the transmission output shaft, and another seal on the transfer case input shaft. Between those two seals the space is dry. Or should be.

I recently had the same work done and the transfer case input shaft immediately started leaking. Seals harden with age and lose flexibility. Disturbing them can cause a leak.

You’ll need to drop the transfer case and ascertain whether the leak is from the new transmission (unlikely) or the transfer case input seal.

If I were doing another trans replacement tomorrow, I’d tell the shop to include new input and rear output seals for the transfer case in the work. Easy to do while it’s out.

PS- if you’re having a shop do the work, I’d go back to the transmission guys and ask them to address it and give me a break on the cost, since it’s either a warranty on the trans OR a secondary leak caused by their work. In my case the shop found the leak before I did, and we agreed I’d pay for the extra parts, and they would absorb the labor. A shop that does a lot of trans work should IMO anticipate secondary issues such as this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Axm1096

Reaction score
There’s a gasket to keep dirt out of the area. Oil is kept in by a seal on the transmission output shaft, and another seal on the transfer case input shaft. Between those two seals the space is dry. Or should be.

I recently had the same work done and the transfer case input shaft immediately started leaking. Seals harden with age and lose flexibility. Disturbing them can cause a leak.

You’ll need to drop the transfer case and ascertain whether the leak is from the new transmission (unlikely) or the transfer case input seal.

If I were doing another trans replacement tomorrow, I’d tell the shop to include new input and rear output seals for the transfer case in the work. Easy to do while it’s out.

PS- if you’re having a shop do the work, I’d go back to the transmission guys and ask them to address it and give me a break on the cost, since it’s either a warranty on the trans OR a secondary leak caused by their work. In my case the shop found the leak before I did, and we agreed I’d pay for the extra parts, and they would absorb the labor. A shop that does a lot of trans work should IMO anticipate secondary issues such as this.
Tha k you verry much for your response i will be take it this following week

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was a good shop. Hopefully Alex will have the same service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic