Transmission cooling lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronzxcvb

Reaction score
One of my transmission cooling lines has a leak
Can I cut out the bad section and replace with a piece of fuel line?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most lines carry lower psi but how to seal up the patch? They’re not overly expensive to replace with new. What year model and engine?

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not fuel line, the tranny fluid will eat right through that in a matter of weeks. I don't think that's a high pressure line, IIRC.

Mine have been replaced since the steering rubbed a hole through one, but now that one's lashed up out of the way.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new hard lines when I rebuilt my tranny. Getting those to go where they're supposed to was such a PITA that I used braided line instead. Not to mention those F-ing C-clips to secure them.

OP
OP
Ronzxcvb

Ronzxcvb

Reaction score
Thanks for the help
I ordered some from Auto Zone they said would be in today. But when I went into town to pick them up now they wont be in until Tuesday and I need the truck on Saturday.
I put on a add on cooler years back that used rubber lines so thought I could just patch it up with some fuel line I have.

Not fuel line, the tranny fluid will eat right through that in a matter of weeks. I don't think that's a high pressure line, IIRC.

I'm glad I asked first.
kid found some about 40 min away so going to pick them up tomorrow.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bypassed the radiator on my trans cooler lines since ive added a larger trans cooler. Just cut out a section flared the ends and ran rubber hose.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel line is fine. It’s whats included in most aftermarket trans cooler kits including Tru-Cool. And it’s a low pressure system. Best to only use it temporarily though unless you add flares to the hard lines so the clamps work better.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fuel line won't last when used as a tranny fluid line; it gets soft and deteriorates relatively quickly. Short term, it's probably fine, but for a lasting fix, no. Think @Tonyrodz may have experienced it, and I have.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, trans line is heavier than fuel line. And probably made from different stuff. I was wrong about Tru Cool, they use trans line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts