Transmission Coolers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His price is a bit off
https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/LNG-4739.html $179 with thermostat, maybe he is including shipping?
I don't think you can have overkill on keeping the trans cool but it's your choice. I have the TruCool on both my 2005 denali and tahoe, they dropped the temps noticeably. I'm sold on installing one in everything I own with a auto transmission.

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I added a TruCool 40k and a Champion radiator with dual electric fans to my 2002 Z71 Tahoe 5.3l. In 100 degree Houston heat, transmission temp runs at 150 degrees and water temp 205 degrees. At 80 degrees, transmission runs at 130 degrees. BTW, I replaced my instrument cluster with a 2001 Yukon Denali cluster to get a transmission temp guage.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted the cooler horizontally below the radiator between the bumper and radiator support so it doesn't impede airflow to the intercooler.
Did you bypass the radiator? And do you have the Thermal Bypass on it? Hopefully you mounted correctly too. I've seen a lot of incorrect installations. On the LPD's the inlet and outlet have to be at the top.

Goebz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had metal in my Camaro Trans, bypassed the Rad with an external cooler. Make sure you change the lines too! Learned that the hard way!

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His price is a bit off
https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/LNG-4739.html $179 with thermostat, maybe he is including shipping?
I don't think you can have overkill on keeping the trans cool but it's your choice. I have the TruCool on both my 2005 denali and tahoe, they dropped the temps noticeably. I'm sold on installing one in everything I own with a auto transmission.
That's what I'm saying. And he's not even suggesting the Thermal Valve. Also he never said anything about contaminated lines, just the radiator and cooler. I bet that's what took this transmission out. The last shop prolly didn't even flush the system. Also, you need GM's suggested operating temp to run correctly. If you over cool the fluid it never thins and runs at higher pressure. That's why they run it through the radiator, to warm it up.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I read....a transmission, for best life, should operate in the 160F to 200F range, in the sump... 160F is the "warm" temperature for most transmissions...

Plato442

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He prob can mark it up more and make more profit. Both are good external coolers. I actually have a derale with cooler/fan combo on my Yukon.

grapeguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tow a 7000# travel trailer with my Yukon denali. Tranny temps pulling a grade in hot weather would hit 235 which concerned me. The Tru Cool 40k btu unit would not fit where the OEM cooler was mounted and it seemed 40k btu was overkill. I opted for the 21k model 4587 from Tru Cool. It fit with few mods. Have to move the outside temp sensor and drill hole in the lower cowl to route lines, but was a smooth install. Brought the trans temp down by 35 degrees and now stays below 200. OEM cooler specs out at about 7500 btu and is undersized IMO. I did not bypass the radiator for reasons mentioned previously. Research into the 6 speed transmission in my Yukon shows it is rated to 300 degrees. Still seems higher than I want. Yukon tows nicely and mounting in front of radiator does not restrict air flow with model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon