Transmission connector broke on 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe... I go to junkyard here quite a bit and never see trucks that old. Most of those of that vintage here have been crushed.

I think rebuilding the actual connector itself is the route to go. Otherwise, replacing entire harness, but that would require opening the transmission. I've done a 4L60E but I see that connector is coming out side of case... On a 4L60E the internal harness can be easily changed by dropping the pan.

Anybody know if it's the same way on a 4L80E?
Yes both the 4l60e and 4l80 and their variations, the tranny side receptacle has to be pulled from inside the tranny case which of course means the pan has to be dropped and the wiring that comes from the receptacle has to be disconnected from the shift solenoids, tcc lockup solenoid, etc.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that's not too tricky. Maybe easier to just swap out the whole harness. I know there's different pinouts between different years. I used to have a chart with all that stuff but cannot recall where I saved it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get both the internal transmission harness complete or for the vehicle side you can buy the connector with pigtails on it and you have to cut and splice the wires. They have butt connectors now that heat shrink around the wires for a water tight connection. I solder and heat shrink my wiring but the butt connectors are easier.

Attachments

• 8CFACF08-9BA5-4E2C-9D28-E5FD6F706F5F.png
    8CFACF08-9BA5-4E2C-9D28-E5FD6F706F5F.png
    822.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I like the idea of butt connectors that seal up. Seems whenever I solder a connection and use shrink tubing it seals up but the solder joint eventually fails no matter how I solder it. I'll advise accordingly. Doesn't seem to tricky if is similar to 4L60E.

Anybody worked on these older ones with the Transmission control module? It's been so long since I've done that. Are they in the same box as the Engine Control Module or can I pull out that whole harness with the computer to splice in the connector?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts