Transmission connector broke on 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 1993 3/4 ton Suburban. It has the 454 and 4L80E transmission (or heavy duty). I don't know much about these years or those builds to be honest. I maybe way off. They sent me pictures, it looks like the transmission connector broke off on the engine / chassis side of the harness, not on the transmission side.

Anybody know much about these harnesses? Where and if a new one can be bought?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image_2022-12-30_210338394.png
    image_2022-12-30_210338394.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-12-30 at 8.53.21 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-12-30 at 8.53.21 PM.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 9

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chassis side plug looks fine from what I can tell in the pics. I cant see the female pins to verify. The tranny side wiring receptacle has 2 guides/locators broken off. I circled the ones broken off in yellow in pic attached of a used one. The locators are there to key the receptacle so the plug can only be fully installed the correct way because the plug has matching female holes which receive the locators from the tranny receptacle. This prevents a numbskull from installing it incorrectly and pushing pins out the back side of the plug or the receptacle or just demolishing them. A new receptacle is not needed as long as the installer pays attention to orientation of the plug while installing it on the receptacle but if a new one is wanted then any tranny shop should have one in stock or can get fairly fast. Keep in mind this pinout was only used in 1991-1993 model years. The 94-03 receptacle with wiring harness is compatible in the tranny case and valve body BUT the chassis side plug of the wiring harness will have to be updated to the 94-03 plug style also. That all can get expensive and time consuming for someone that is not well versed in proper wiring harness rapair techniques but definitely not impossible for the DIY.

Attachments

• 4l80e tranny connector marked.jpg
    4l80e tranny connector marked.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 3

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah good, I couldn't quite tell what was wrong in pictures. Also never saw a harness like that. Actually looks better than new design with that screw.

Do you of a transmission parts distrout or that still sells these?
You are more likely to find NOS part from a local tranny shop or on a GM dealers parts shelf with a 1/2" of dust sitting on the package. This tranny (receptacle) and chassis (plug) harness has been superseded and its revision has even been replaced/superseded multiple times now.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe... I go to junkyard here quite a bit and never see trucks that old. Most of those of that vintage here have been crushed.

I think rebuilding the actual connector itself is the route to go. Otherwise, replacing entire harness, but that would require opening the transmission. I've done a 4L60E but I see that connector is coming out side of case... On a 4L60E the internal harness can be easily changed by dropping the pan.

Anybody know if it's the same way on a 4L80E?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts