Transmission Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJReed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

So the torque converter or lock out solenoid is going on my 99 Tahoe. The transmission was rebuilt 50k ago, truck sitting at 216k currently. I figured swapping the whole transmission would be a better bet than plugging me pieces in.

Question is, will a transmission out of a 2002 Silverado LS (5.3) 4x4 fit my 1999 Tahoe LT (5.7) 4x4? Guy wants 250 for the whole thing.

Any help is appreciated.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hey all,

So the torque converter or lock out solenoid is going on my 99 Tahoe. The transmission was rebuilt 50k ago, truck sitting at 216k currently. I figured swapping the whole transmission would be a better bet than plugging me pieces in.

Question is, will a transmission out of a 2002 Silverado LS (5.3) 4x4 fit my 1999 Tahoe LT (5.7) 4x4? Guy wants 250 for the whole thing.

Any help is appreciated.

Negative the transmition will not work as a plug and play. If you have the time and money you can make it work. I have read several posts on performance trucks of people doing the convertion.

OP
OP
A

AJReed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Negative the transmition will not work as a plug and play. If you have the time and money you can make it work. I have read several posts on performance trucks of people doing the convertion.

Any idea what would be needed to make it work? Links to those posts? Appreciate the help!

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tranny will only work if you have an adapter ring that sits between the back of the engine block and tranny. GM sells a kit. The alignment pins that are pressed into the block need to be replaced which are included in the kit. The reason for all this is that the torque converter is a different style. I know, I did this. Getting the pins out was done by a shop. They regretted taking the job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03tahoejunk