Transmission clunck shifting into drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sctrl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. Recently I started noticing a loud metal clunk when shifting into D or R from Park on cold. I recorded a video of this. Also, there’s a long delay between shifts when cold. The video shows shifting from P to R to D to R to D and to P again. When tranny is warm, shifts are faster and clunking noise is not noticeable.
What do y'all think, alarming?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Recently I started noticing a loud metal clunk when shifting into D or R from Park on cold. I recorded a video of this. Also, there’s a long delay between shifts when cold. The video shows shifting from P to R to D to R to D and to P again. When tranny is warm, shifts are faster and clunking noise is not noticeable.
What do y'all think, alarming?
Motor mounts is my guess if they haven’t been done.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Front differential carrier mounts
Ok, but again, why does noise go away when warmed up? Plus, those carrier mounts would have to be real bad to make that noise just shifting gears. I don't doubt the possibility but I am curious and want to learn something if I can.

OP
OP
sctrl

sctrl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s 2x4, no front differential. Maybe transmission mount? But I don’t see it moving much.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s 2x4, no front differential. Maybe transmission mount? But I don’t see it moving much.
It doesn't look like it's coming from the differential because I would expect to see the input shaft jump at the same instance it makes the noise. And you have a 14-bolt which is considerably tougher than the 10-bolt.

I know that you're having shifting performance change at the same rate, but they could also be two separate issues. So another possibility is that you're experiencing the time-honored GM driveline clunk:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds more crunchy than I expected, I've had a few chevys that clunked a lot when shifting into D or R. I would say its nothing to be concerned about. Drive it until it breaks and THEN you'll know what the problem was.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will repeat what @OR VietVet said. All of the suggestions given so far do not explain the fact that the OP says that the clunk goes away after the motor is warmed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505