transmission and driveshaft noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyguy3766

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when i drive in reverse then put the truck into drive and press the gas i hear like a "ting" noise or like you just ran over a pothole. what is it? does it need attention?

also, when i drive in revers the driveshaft it making a sqeaking noise, it does it in drive to but it quits after you hit about 15mph.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
I also have this type of problem. When I shift from park to either drive or reverse or from reverse to drive and vise versa I hear a popping noise coming from the rear. It only seems to happen when the truck is warm though. I checked the u-joints and there is no play. Any ideas?

XLdenaliXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well your rear end mite be shot, you change the fluid recently?

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definately check out the fluid in the rear diff. You both may be hearing the normal lash from the 4wd system, there is slack in the system because of the multiple gear boxes (trans, t-case, diffes) If the sound is a loud ping or ting, you more than likely have a rear diff that is very unhappy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons