Transmission advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to dealership and a local reputable shop. GM warrantied one will go $5300+ either way but comes with a 100,000 transferable warranty that will be honored everywhere by dealers. They are in stock. A tranny shop rebuild will go about a $1k less with a limited warranty. The Jasper trans are currently on back order and are the same price as the GM.

Who puts this much into an 11 year old ride with 191,000 miles. I’d love to in order to not pay a ton for a new one when I am buying for two teenagers soon… Aren’t I due to have engine issues next anyway though? I’m torn between repair or go new where at least I don’t overpay for unknown wear and abuse…?
Personally, I’d go with new and a warranty.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to dealership and a local reputable shop. GM warrantied one will go $5300+ either way but comes with a 100,000 transferable warranty that will be honored everywhere by dealers. They are in stock. A tranny shop rebuild will go about a $1k less with a limited warranty. The Jasper trans are currently on back order and are the same price as the GM.

Who puts this much into an 11 year old ride with 191,000 miles. I’d love to in order to not pay a ton for a new one when I am buying for two teenagers soon… Aren’t I due to have engine issues next anyway though? I’m torn between repair or go new where at least I don’t overpay for unknown wear and abuse…?
It's a lot of money, but you'll probably get another 10 years out of the truck if the frame and body are in good shape, so I wouldn't hesitate if the truck were mine. The new ones have been pretty problematic. I have 232K on my '07 XL Denali but it's in pristine condition so I wouldn't think twice about dropping 5 grand on a new transmission if it needed it.

OP
OP
D

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a guy somewhat local who says he is longtime GM dealership mechanic who does rebuilds on the side. $2500 with billet converter upgrade and 1 year warranty.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy somewhat local who says he is longtime GM dealership mechanic who does rebuilds on the side. $2500 with billet converter upgrade and 1 year warranty.
that 100k warranty is 3 years/100k, so unless you are planning on driving 33.3k per year there is no point in paying more
mine was rebuilt by a shop with a 3yr 100k warranty with power to spare yes it's not "nationwide" but I am confident I will not have any issue with the transmission until after the warranty period because it was rebuilt with well known failures addressed so technically it should be better than "new"
I will add I am a "serial abuser" I have broken a number of transmissions which is why I requested it to be built heavy duty and 500hp

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of us here would spend the money to replace a trans on one of these trucks with 191,000 miles on it because in reality the truck is only half worn out, if that. It’s not like the days when 100,000 miles meant a lot. These engines routinely go 400-500,000 miles with regular maintenance. The rest of the truck too. Sure, you need to put some money in from time to time but keep in mind the cost of a new replacement. Like others said, you’ll need to make the choice between a dealer doing it for more money or a local shop for less, with potential differences in warranty.

Airman68

Reaction score
It would be a tough call for me. Biggest issue is the AFM on these things for me, I have mine disabled. If the truck itself is in good shape, you like it and it doesn't need much else, might be worth it. If it were me, I'd try to find a better price. Would be more likely to spend $3k on a 5000 truck then $5k. Then again, I'm cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts