Transmission advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 Tahoe LT 2wd. Had a bunch of problems. First issue came pulling a boat down a hill in towing mode. Felt like something popped during gear change but otherwise went away.

My wife drove the vehicle for a couple weeks after that and complained. Was hard shifting into reverse also had some rough shudder.

I dropped the drive shaft and checked the universal joints. Also dropped tranny pan. Did find one piece of metal about the size of an eraser head that looked like it could have been a fin otherwise not a ton of metal for a 190,000 mile vehicle (fluid had been swapped out before without pam drop).

Ended up having coolant leak, bad motor mount at same time. Fixed those. Motor mount could have been responsible for both- could water from heater line connection breakage contaminate system but not leave considerable proof in Atf fluid? Maybe not but just coincidence.

Replaced yoke with new nickel one and used GM grease. Flushed Atf several times and added shudder guard. Problems greatly went away. Still get some shudder at 30-40mph and 1500 rpm. Also get some droning sound coming from transmission at slow speed.

Took to GM today even though problems are bearable. They confirmed there was a tranny clutch code and said noise was definitely coming from the transmission. $5280 to replace tranny and torque converter.

2011 vehicle- would anyone throw that much towards a repair? Any chance replacing solenoid might solve my problem? Or torque converter only? What would you all do?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I would swap it to a 4l80 if you plan on towing with it a lot should be about the same price as the 4l60 but may have to go to a actual shop instead of Gm as they might not swap it there

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would swap it to a 4l80 if you plan on towing with it a lot should be about the same price as the 4l60 but may have to go to a actual shop instead of Gm as they might not swap it there
I believe his has the 6L80.

To the OP, it's worth getting a price from a well-reviewed local indy transmission shop as well. I have one near me that does fantastic work for a reasonable price. Then again, the dealer gives you a 100K transferable warranty.

As to what to do, given that you found a metal chance that large in the pan, my guess is that transmission has to come apart. At that point, you might as well have it rebuilt right, including a new TC.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How
I believe his has the 6L80.

To the OP, it's worth getting a price from a well-reviewed local indy transmission shop as well. I have one near me that does fantastic work for a reasonable price. Then again, the dealer gives you a 100K transferable warranty.

As to what to do, given that you found a metal chance that large in the pan, my guess is that transmission has to come apart. At that point, you might as well have it rebuilt right, including a new TC.

How much is a rebuild, typically?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2011 Tahoe LT 2wd. Had a bunch of problems. First issue came pulling a boat down a hill in towing mode. Felt like something popped during gear change but otherwise went away.

My wife drove the vehicle for a couple weeks after that and complained. Was hard shifting into reverse also had some rough shudder.

I dropped the drive shaft and checked the universal joints. Also dropped tranny pan. Did find one piece of metal about the size of an eraser head that looked like it could have been a fin otherwise not a ton of metal for a 190,000 mile vehicle (fluid had been swapped out before without pam drop).

Ended up having coolant leak, bad motor mount at same time. Fixed those. Motor mount could have been responsible for both- could water from heater line connection breakage contaminate system but not leave considerable proof in Atf fluid? Maybe not but just coincidence.

Replaced yoke with new nickel one and used GM grease. Flushed Atf several times and added shudder guard. Problems greatly went away. Still get some shudder at 30-40mph and 1500 rpm. Also get some droning sound coming from transmission at slow speed.

Took to GM today even though problems are bearable. They confirmed there was a tranny clutch code and said noise was definitely coming from the transmission. $5280 to replace tranny and torque converter.

2011 vehicle- would anyone throw that much towards a repair? Any chance replacing solenoid might solve my problem? Or torque converter only? What would you all do?
I had mine rebuilt for 500hp and with a billet converter, the bill was like $4100. Hopefully it won't break again, the dealer price seems kind of high I would check around for the best shop in your area and get another quote you will want a billet converter the stock converter is the weak spot in these transmissions

jdwood1111

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I had a local guy say he won’t rebuild 6l80s and only buys remanufactured ones. He buys them for $3500 and charges $900 install for a total of $4400.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chunks of metal in a transmission pan is never a good sign.

I’d shop around a little and see what you can find.

Might even see if you can find a good lower mileage used one. I saw a lot of used 6L80 transmissions for sale around me when I was looking to find one for my sons truck. Won’t come with a warranty, but, might be an option.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Absolutely! The trans will have a 3 year, 100K mile warranty good at any dealer nationwide. If they are back in stock, even better. Earlier this year transmissions were on national backorder, even remans.

Service it every 40K miles and it should last even longer than the first.

OP
OP
D

draper11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Talked to dealership and a local reputable shop. GM warrantied one will go $5300+ either way but comes with a 100,000 transferable warranty that will be honored everywhere by dealers. They are in stock. A tranny shop rebuild will go about a $1k less with a limited warranty. The Jasper trans are currently on back order and are the same price as the GM.

Who puts this much into an 11 year old ride with 191,000 miles. I’d love to in order to not pay a ton for a new one when I am buying for two teenagers soon… Aren’t I due to have engine issues next anyway though? I’m torn between repair or go new where at least I don’t overpay for unknown wear and abuse…?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2