Transmision line leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess out Tahoe is reaching the age (175K) where everything starts leaking. The tranny line from the coller that runs back to the tranny is leaking up front at the crimp (big surprise). I HATE lines with crimps. Both on this vehicle have been changed, but it was sometime back. This one is leaking up front just above the skid plate and its coming from the crimp. Has anyone cut the crimp loose and pushed the rubber hose up and over the flare and used clamps to secure it? I've seen this done on other vehicles and I'm curious in trying it with this one. I have no plans to by a flare tool and get all custom with it if I don't have to. I also don't really wanna replace this line with another inferior one that is destined to leak at the crimp again down the road. Curious if anyone has tried this method.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess out Tahoe is reaching the age (175K) where everything starts leaking. The tranny line from the coller that runs back to the tranny is leaking up front at the crimp (big surprise). I HATE lines with crimps. Both on this vehicle have been changed, but it was sometime back. This one is leaking up front just above the skid plate and its coming from the crimp. Has anyone cut the crimp loose and pushed the rubber hose up and over the flare and used clamps to secure it? I've seen this done on other vehicles and I'm curious in trying it with this one. I have no plans to by a flare tool and get all custom with it if I don't have to. I also don't really wanna replace this line with another inferior one that is destined to leak at the crimp again down the road. Curious if anyone has tried this method.
I’ve replaced my stock line, with a same, OEM trans cooler line. Neither have leaked. The original had around 210k on it, newer one, about 20k so far. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend clamps, but that’s up to you. There shouldn’t be much pressure in those lines, I think something like 20-30psi..? Surprised yours leaked. Was it an OEM replacement, or a dorman, standard, etc..?

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve replaced my stock line, with a same, OEM trans cooler line. Neither have leaked. The original had around 210k on it, newer one, about 20k so far. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend clamps, but that’s up to you. There shouldn’t be much pressure in those lines, I think something like 20-30psi..? Surprised yours leaked. Was it an OEM replacement, or a dorman, standard, etc..?
Its OEM. I honestly thought I wouldn't have to deal with it again, but sure enough I saw a wet spot on the inside of the skid plate. Crawled up underneath and there it is, weeping crimp. I can replace it with another OEM, but I believe its the one that mounts to the tranny. The top one which is a big pain to get to. In fact, I don't think I changed this one last time. I'm not even sure how to get to it at the end where it goes to the tranny. Not much room

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not put a clamp on a tranny line. That thing lets loose and you are going to have a mess in a hurry not too mention maybe a nuked tranny. Just grin a bear it and replace the whole line. Take one for the team! Im not a big an of the crimped oil or tranny lines either. It is what it is.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use Clamps at the Oilcooler of a transmission. That is not a Problem. The pressure to and from the cooler is not so high. A lot of people install additional Coolers with clamps.

Sure you should watch the clamps after install in engine idle and then, when you drive, watch it a few times, that its tight and sealed.

But then no problem.

I do transmission overhaul in Germany, so i know what i am talking about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs