Transfer case whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the Tcase? I replaced mine because it clunked pretty loud going in and out of gear and when I stabbed the throttle, but didn't whine which after several 100 thousand miles it was expected, tore it apart and it looked clean, barely any wear in the bearings/chain/forks but I decided to replace it. The rebuild on these seems fairly simple aside of measuring the clutch clearance on the clutch pack. I ended up rebuilding an older 241c as its even simpler and seems more sturdy with less bulk in my opinion. When it comes to finding the whine it can be tricky because it can be any of the drive train components. Most often than not the rear end might have a quiet whine to it, also trannys can whine, so I would look for it for sure before tearing a non leaking Tcase.

OP
OP
Z

zmusclow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many miles on the Tcase? I replaced mine because it clunked pretty loud going in and out of gear and when I stabbed the throttle, but didn't whine which after several 100 thousand miles it was expected, tore it apart and it looked clean, barely any wear in the bearings/chain/forks but I decided to replace it. The rebuild on these seems fairly simple aside of measuring the clutch clearance on the clutch pack. I ended up rebuilding an older 241c as its even simpler and seems more sturdy with less bulk in my opinion. When it comes to finding the whine it can be tricky because it can be any of the drive train components. Most often than not the rear end might have a quiet whine to it, also trannys can whine, so I would look for it for sure before tearing a non leaking Tcase.
The T-case has 311,000 on it the whine goes away when put into 4wd that’s why I expect the t case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons