Transfer case question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So during chasing down a weird noise on my 01 LS Tahoe my buddy ( who is a good mechanic) noticed a small pinhole in transfer case that he remembers being an issue with something inside coming loose and creating hole. Anyone have this issue? Lucky for me I have a spare t case from my 01 Z71 burb. The only current issue with Tahoe t case in 4WLO it's like neutral. All other positions seem fine . I thought I'd only have to swap the electric motor that changes gears but guess now I'm swapping whole t case. Any tips or tricks on that job? Can I just remove transmission crossmember, slide back enough for front to drop out. Thanks for any input. IMG_20190716_191401.jpg

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a rub issue, with enough time it will wear and make a pin hole and your fluid will leak out. There is a fix for that, I for example love the merchant pump rub kit, no shortcuts were spared and comes with everything you need. I would actually perform this before installing the new unit for an extra piece of mind. The tcase it self weights between 70-100 lbs if I had to guess, you can use a jack to lower it, some maneuvering will be required to install it back, the only way to install it back without removing the rear torsion crossmember was to bench in into place at an angle, and then straighten it back up and spline it into place. If you can bench over 150lbs it should be no problem, if you aren't able to do so just take it easy and try using a jack to raise it back up and find a way to lift it sideways then at an angle and straighten it back up and align the splines, its tricky, or you can remove the rear cross member and make it super easy, to install with a jack. But more things have to come off, so its up to you how you proceed. Oh and please be careful with the rear crossmember, that thing is super sharp so cover it up if you have to, i cut my knee one time there, and it put me out for 2 weeks.

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a rub issue, with enough time it will wear and make a pin hole and your fluid will leak out. There is a fix for that, I for example love the merchant pump rub kit, no shortcuts were spared and comes with everything you need. I would actually perform this before installing the new unit for an extra piece of mind. The tcase it self weights between 70-100 lbs if I had to guess, you can use a jack to lower it, some maneuvering will be required to install it back, the only way to install it back without removing the rear torsion crossmember was to bench in into place at an angle, and then straighten it back up and spline it into place. If you can bench over 150lbs it should be no problem, if you aren't able to do so just take it easy and try using a jack to raise it back up and find a way to lift it sideways then at an angle and straighten it back up and align the splines, its tricky, or you can remove the rear cross member and make it super easy, to install with a jack. But more things have to come off, so its up to you how you proceed. Oh and please be careful with the rear crossmember, that thing is super sharp so cover it up if you have to, i cut my knee one time there, and it put me out for 2 weeks.
Thanks for input. I think what I will do is swap in the Suburban one and then put that upgrade kit in the one I take out of the Tahoe and set it aside for if any future issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts